You Can Now Use Your Hilton Honors Points to Book Stays at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
One of the longest-awaited Hilton property openings in recent memory is the chain’s Waldorf Astoria property in the Maldives. The Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi finally opened for cash bookings four days ago, however, the site wasn’t yet displaying any award availability. Now, the wait is over for Honors members who have been saving points in hopes of a massive redemption at the luxury property.
Beginning July 1, 2019, the property is open for bookings. While the cash prices aren’t for the faint of heart — a King Beach Villa with pool (the cheapest option) is showing at $1,833 per night, plus taxes and fees — redemptions are much more manageable. On those same dates, the property is showing the redemption rate at 120,000 Hilton Honors points per night.
Keep in mind that the Hilton Honors program allows elites to get a fifth night for free on award stays. So, for a five-night stay, you’ll pay 480,000 points — or 96,000 points per night. Keep in mind, too that you’ll also have to pay a significant amount in taxes and fees.
Also remember that free weekend night certificates can be used at the property. The easiest way to earn a free weekend night certificate is via the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express, which currently comes with a welcome bonus of 150,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months. With the card, you’ll get a free weekend night upon opening it and then each year after your account renewal. Additionally, both the Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express and the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card offer a free weekend night certificate after spending $15,000 on each of the respective cards in a calendar year.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Traditionally, the highest Hilton Honors redemption rate is 95,000 points per night, since the program no longer offers an award chart. Much like Marriott’s long-awaited Category 8 introduction, it appears that the Hilton Honors program is now upping its highest-level redemptions to 120,000 points per night.
Based on TPG’s latest valuations, 120,000 Hilton Honors points are worth $720, so even though you’re paying more points than the previous high of 95,000, you could still be getting good value out of your points. At the $1,833 price point, you’ll end up paying $2,264 after taxes and service charges. That means you’ll be getting 1.9 cents per point in value, not including taxes and fees — almost 4x TPG’s valuation for Hilton Honors points of 0.5 cents per point. If you were to take advantage of the fifth night free, you’d be getting 2.4 cents per point in value. Though you’ll have to pay taxes and fees, which could bring down the value you’ll get per point.
If you’re looking to top up your Hilton Honors account balance, keep in mind that the program is currently offering a buy points promotion in which you can purchase points with a 100% bonus until Feb. 26, 2019. You can currently buy up to 160,000 points at a rate of 0.5 cents per point.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees