The Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal is officially bookable with points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this summer, Hilton announced that it would be opening a Waldorf Astoria on the sandy beaches of Los Cabos, Mexico. Reservations were not available at the time of the initial announcement as there was still work to be done, however, booking is now available via both cash and points, as reported by One Mile at a Time.
When it was first announced, we thought award rates may be similar to other Waldorf Astoria properties, starting around 80,000 Hilton Honors points, but we now know that it’s a bit steeper at 120,000 points per night for the standard king bedroom.
While this may seem like quite a lot of points, the amenities are pretty stellar and it’s actually a great value when you compare it to the cash price and taxes in Mexico.
The screenshot below shows the price for the king room in mid-January 2020. The room starts at $840, but when you add in the taxes and fees, it brings the night up almost $300 dollars to $1,126 total. TPG values 120,000 Hilton Honors points at $720 (0.6 cents per point), which is a much better value for the room than the cash price. And, by booking with points, you won’t have to pay those hefty taxes and fees.
Another way to maximize a hefty points redemption like this is by taking advantage of the fifth night free perk that Hilton elite members receive on award bookings. Depending on when you book, that could ultimately bring the price per night down to 96,000 points per night.
Boosting your points balance
If you’re looking for ways to boost your Honors balance, consider signing up for one the Hiltons co-branded credit cards. For example, the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express is currently offering a 150,000 welcome bonus after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months. The card also features some generous earnings like 14x points on Hilton bookings, 7x points on flights, car rentals and at U.S. restaurants and 3x points on all other purchases.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
An even easier way to boost your balance is by linking your Hilton and Lyft account. If you haven’t done so already, now is the time because Hilton is currently offering 1,000 bonus points when you do.
The new Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal is definitely an aspirational points property you’ll want to add to your list as it promises beautiful views and great amenities. It’s proximity to the U.S. also makes it more affordable to reach than other lofty Waldorf destinations, like the Waldorf Astoria Maldives, while still offering a paradise-like escape.
Featured photo courtesy of Waldorf Astoria.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.