Watch: Richard Branson gives tour of Virgin Voyages’ Scarlet Lady
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information about the Virgin Voyages cruise, as well as video footage. The original article was published on Dec. 5, 2019.
Virgin Voyages’ first ship has moved one step closer to its first sailing with passengers. Last month, Scarlet Lady, the cruise line’s first ship, successfully completed its sea trials on a sailing between Italy and France.
From Nov. 15-18, Scarlet Lady sailed from Genoa to Marseille before returning to its station in Genoa from Nov. 27-30. The return journey was the first round of sea trials, which it successfully completed.
Sir Richard Branson joined the sea trials sailing, along with his family, several executives at Virgin Voyages including CEO Tom McAlpin and the CEO of fellow Virgin group member Virgin Atlantic, Shari Weiss.
Video released by Virgin shows Branson touring the gargantuan vessel.
“I think Virgin’s heritage is really well represented on this ship,” said Branson. “The name itself, the Scarlet Lady, was the name of Virgin Atlantic’s first two planes.”
The Virgin Group chairman toured the Manor, a large club aboard the Scarlet Lady. The Manor is named after Virgin’s first recording studio, which hosted rock legends like the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney.
Branson said he wanted to avoid the typical stereotype of a cruise ship when creating Virgin Voyages. “If we can create the type of cruise ship that our friends and ourselves would go on, then we’d go on it,” he said.
Branson painted the outline of the Virgin flag on the hull of the ship, where the cruise line’s logo will appear.
“Virgin Voyages can confirm the Scarlet Lady is smooth, stable and quiet, gliding through the water in various weather conditions,” Virgin Voyages said in a statement.
The sea trials completion is the next step Scarlet Lady had to complete, putting her one step closer to her maiden voyage on April 1, 2020. Scarlet Lady is set to sail from Miami to destinations in the Caribbean on four- and five-night itineraries.
In November, Virgin Voyages unveiled its second ship, the Valiant Lady. While Scarlet Lady will be dedicated to Caribbean sailings, Valiant Lady will initially sail seven-night Mediterranean itineraries out of Barcelona, Spain. Sailing on the Valiant Lady is set to begin in May 2021.
Virgin Voyages has branded itself as the cruise line for people who wouldn’t typically consider cruising. Each of its ships has a no-kids-allowed policy, and the ships are designed to cater to a younger, millennial audience. Passengers will be allowed to shake their device to get Champagne delivered on demand, stop by the onboard Squid Ink tattoo parlor or go to a drag-queen brunch.
Additional reporting by Brendan Dorsey.
All photos courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees