Virgin Voyages is giving away 2,021 cruises — even though it hasn’t officially launched yet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting today, you can nominate a person you love for the chance to win a free cruise.
Beginning Sunday, Feb. 14, the Richard Branson-backed cruise company Virgin Voyages is launching its “Shipload of Love” giveaway. The line is committing to giving away 2,021 voyages this year, with 1,000 free cruises set aside for nominees who have “taken care of us and our loved ones and … brought positivity into this world,” according to a statement from Virgin.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Sure, the cruise line hasn’t even had its official inaugural sailing yet — and the cruise industry remains largely shut down due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic — but if you have a diehard cruise fan in your life, now’s your chance to give them an unforgettable getaway.
You can nominate an essential worker, first responder, teacher, grocery store associate, a family member, a friend, or any “person who has inspired you, cared for you and helped you to navigate this past year for the vacation of a lifetime.” And no, sorry, you can’t nominate yourself.
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day — and in honor of the one-year anniversary of the delivery of the line’s first ship — Virgin Voyages is asking for video submissions explaining why your nominee should receive a free, adults-only cruise on the Scarlet Lady. Submissions will be accepted until 8 p.m. ET on March 16, 2021, so you have more than a month to put together your entry.
There will be additional giveaways in the future until the line reaches 2,021 free vacations (be sure to watch the line’s social channels for a chance to win a cruise for yourself). Hopefully, by then, cruising will actually resume so the lucky winners can go enjoy that free cruise.
Virgin Voyages also teased that new information is forthcoming about its third ship.
At this time, Virgin’s official debut sailing of the Scarlet Lady is scheduled for May 9, 2021. Its second vessel, the Valiant Lady, now won’t be unveiled until Nov. 14.
When it does finally sail, the 2,770-passenger Scarlet Lady promises to shake up the industry with a new, hip interpretation of cruising. Passengers will find onboard amenities such as a tattoo parlor, drag-queen brunches and a colorful karaoke lounge. Its inaugural season is expected to focus on four- and five-night trips out of Miami to the Bahamas and Caribbean, with stops at The Beach Club at Bimini, the start-up line’s answer to cruise line private islands.
Feature photo courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.