This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic shared on Wednesday the details of some additions and changes to its route map. First up, the airline shared that it’s going to start nonstop flights between London Heathrow (LHR) and Las Vegas (LAS) beginning March 31, 2019, with tickets available for sale beginning Saturday, May 19, 2018.
The new route will be operated by three-class Boeing 787-9s offering 31 Upper Class seats, 35 Premium Economy seats and 192 economy seats. Virgin already serves Las Vegas, but from London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) with a Boeing 747.
The new Heathrow service will replace — not supplement — the airline’s existing Gatwick flight. The move to the 789 also means an increase in premium seats on the route. “We’ve seen a growing demand from corporate travelers [for flights to Las Vegas], as Vegas is one of the largest conference centers in the world,” said Jessica Cross Brown, a spokesperson for Virgin Atlantic, who explained that the airline successfully trialed the route for tech professionals headed to CES — a popular technology trade show hosted annually in Vegas — in 2017.
In addition to the new Heathrow – Las Vegas service, the airline is adding a second daily flight between Boston (BOS) and London (LHR) beginning on March 31, 2019, which will be operated by an Airbus A330-300. Finally, Virgin will add twice-weekly seasonal nonstop flights from LHR to Barbados (BGI) — complementing its existing nonstop service from LGW. The flights will operate between December 11, 2018, and February 19, 2019 — the peak season for travel to the Caribbean.
The news of the three new routes follows Virgin’s upcoming second daily service to Johannesburg, South Africa, which begins in October of this year.
Featured image by Nick Ellis / The Points Guy.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees