Hundreds of Intel Drones Light up Las Vegas Sky During CES
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, thousands of tech and electronic aficionados kicked off the annual Consumer Electronics Show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The four-day event, which began Tuesday, January 9, introduces new and upcoming electronics to the public. Companies like Google, Mercedes-Benz, LG and Intel are a few of the big-names to feature products at this year’s event.
While the daily events typically wrap up around 6pm, some of the exhibitors took to the Las Vegas Strip to show off some of their coolest and most innovate products after hours. Intel, who has one of the biggest pavilions at CES, took advantage of the open sky and flew 250 light-emitting drones above the famed Bellagio Hotel fountain. The drones, called Shooting Stars, perform a five- to six-minute unbelievable light show and fly twice a night, first at 8pm and again at 10pm local time. The drones are operated by one pilot and each weigh only a few pounds.
If Intel’s drones look familiar, it’s because they were on display during Lady Gaga’s 2017 Super Bowl halftime show last year. During that performance, Intel used 50 more drones than used during the CES event. The drones are also slated to perform at the upcoming Winter Olympics in South Korea; it’s not yet known how many drones will be used there.
The Shooting Stars are programmed using Intel’s animation software, and every movement is timed and coordinated in advance by the company’s team of animators. Once the drones are in the sky, they’re geofenced into place to prevent them from roaming out of synchronization.
Take a look at the video below to see the amazing show. If you’re in Las Vegas, you can catch the last shows tonight at 8pm and 10pm.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees