This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, thousands of tech and electronic aficionados kicked off the annual Consumer Electronics Show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The four-day event, which began Tuesday, January 9, introduces new and upcoming electronics to the public. Companies like Google, Mercedes-Benz, LG and Intel are a few of the big-names to feature products at this year’s event.
While the daily events typically wrap up around 6pm, some of the exhibitors took to the Las Vegas Strip to show off some of their coolest and most innovate products after hours. Intel, who has one of the biggest pavilions at CES, took advantage of the open sky and flew 250 light-emitting drones above the famed Bellagio Hotel fountain. The drones, called Shooting Stars, perform a five- to six-minute unbelievable light show and fly twice a night, first at 8pm and again at 10pm local time. The drones are operated by one pilot and each weigh only a few pounds.
If Intel’s drones look familiar, it’s because they were on display during Lady Gaga’s 2017 Super Bowl halftime show last year. During that performance, Intel used 50 more drones than used during the CES event. The drones are also slated to perform at the upcoming Winter Olympics in South Korea; it’s not yet known how many drones will be used there.
The Shooting Stars are programmed using Intel’s animation software, and every movement is timed and coordinated in advance by the company’s team of animators. Once the drones are in the sky, they’re geofenced into place to prevent them from roaming out of synchronization.
Take a look at the video below to see the amazing show. If you’re in Las Vegas, you can catch the last shows tonight at 8pm and 10pm.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that