This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, thousands of tech and electronic aficionados kicked off the annual Consumer Electronics Show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The four-day event, which began Tuesday, January 9, introduces new and upcoming electronics to the public. Companies like Google, Mercedes-Benz, LG and Intel are a few of the big-names to feature products at this year’s event.
While the daily events typically wrap up around 6pm, some of the exhibitors took to the Las Vegas Strip to show off some of their coolest and most innovate products after hours. Intel, who has one of the biggest pavilions at CES, took advantage of the open sky and flew 250 light-emitting drones above the famed Bellagio Hotel fountain. The drones, called Shooting Stars, perform a five- to six-minute unbelievable light show and fly twice a night, first at 8pm and again at 10pm local time. The drones are operated by one pilot and each weigh only a few pounds.
If Intel’s drones look familiar, it’s because they were on display during Lady Gaga’s 2017 Super Bowl halftime show last year. During that performance, Intel used 50 more drones than used during the CES event. The drones are also slated to perform at the upcoming Winter Olympics in South Korea; it’s not yet known how many drones will be used there.
The Shooting Stars are programmed using Intel’s animation software, and every movement is timed and coordinated in advance by the company’s team of animators. Once the drones are in the sky, they’re geofenced into place to prevent them from roaming out of synchronization.
Take a look at the video below to see the amazing show. If you’re in Las Vegas, you can catch the last shows tonight at 8pm and 10pm.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees