Smart Luggage That Follows You Premieres at CES
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week marks one of the biggest times of the year for technology announcements, with the beginning of the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show, or simply CES. On the first day of the show, we’ve already heard about an interesting development for travelers: two companies will be unveiling smart suitcases that have the capability to follow you around. Yes, that’s right.
The suitcase has multiple functions but its most impressive one is its ability to follow the user wherever they go. It can travel either horizontally or vertically and includes sensors that will make sure it avoids crashing into people and other obstacles. You’ll even be able to command the suitcase with voice or hand commands.
The smart suitcase also includes a built-in battery with two USB ports for charging devices, customizable lights, speakers, a smart lock and digital scale. The suitcase’s battery would power its motor for about four hours. It can hit speeds of 6.75 miles per hour for when you’re running though the airport to catch that last minute flight.
Travelmate’s Indigogo page says that the estimated delivery time is February 2018, with prices for the smallest suitcase starting at $1,099.
The Verge is reporting that Chinese company 90Fun is showing a working prototype of their autonomous smart suitcase called Puppy 1.
Using Segway technology, Puppy 1 can actually balance itself like a Segway scooter while it follows you. It gets its name from how a dog follows you around, although it’s more like an untrained canine — in a test by a Verge reporter the luggage was found to be incredibly finicky and unreliable, jetting off in the wrong direction, losing the connection and falling over.
90Fun said it will take preorders for the suitcase in the second half of 2018 via a crowdfunding campaign and hopefully by that time the product will be more dependable.
Both 90Fun and Travelmate will have to contend with airline’s new rules that have banned certain smart luggage due to safety concerns. In December, six major airlines announced that fliers would only be allowed to take on smart luggage that contained removable batteries, so these autonomous suitcase makers will need to be cognizant of that when they roll out their products.
Featured image courtesy of Travelmate Robotics.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees