This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a new player in the “luggage of the future” race — Travelmate. It’s described as the first fully autonomous suitcase — once you pair it with your smartphone, it’ll follow you around, avoiding all obstacles in the process.
The bag can travel both horizontally and vertically, includes a rechargeable battery (which lasts four hours when in full autonomous mode and up to 100 hours in standby mode), two USB ports, a standard electrical outlet, a built-in scale, speaker, a magnetic lock and GPS chip, among other features. The unique omni wheels on the luggage allow it to maneuver tight corners and in close spaces in order to keep up with you, and the color-changing LED lights help to light up your path as you walk.
The “first true robot companion and fully autonomous suitcase,” produced by Travelmate Robotics, is currently in the Indiegogo stage of development. As of this writing, it has raised $6,357 by 23 backers — it has five days to reach its goal of $100,000. The bag is fully TSA compliant, and it comes in three different sizes — small, medium and large.
There are other products like this, like Cowarobot’s autonomous suitcase, and there are the other pretty ridiculous options out there like Modobag’s rideable luggage. With all of this new smart technology out there for our bags, what will they come up with next?
Will you be backing the Travelmate suitcase?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards