US State Department issues ‘level 4’ warning against international travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The State Department has issued a level 4 “do not travel” advisory on Thursday, encouraging U.S. citizens not to go abroad and to return home if they are currently traveling.
“The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19,” the Department said in the warning that was posted to its website Thursday afternoon.
“In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel,” the warning continued. “Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.”
Politico first reported that the advisory was expected Thursday morning. It’s unclear how long the new guidance will be in place.
Level 4 is the State Department’s most severe travel warning, and is usually reserved to advise travelers against visiting active war zones. Politico reported that a number of current and former U.S. diplomats could not recall a global level 4 travel advisory ever previously being issued.
The State Department had previously issued a global level 3 warning, encouraging travelers to reconsider any trips abroad.
Even a level 4 advisory is nonbinding, but it underscores the serious risks posed by the coronavirus and highlights the quickly-changing nature of the global transportation network.
In recent days, a large number of airlines have abruptly scaled back services as demand for travel drops off and governments around the world impose new restrictions.
For travelers, that has led to a scramble to rebook flights and try to get back home before the air network contracts even further.
If you are trying to rebook (or get a new itinerary home), airlines are advising passengers that hold times on the phone are exceptionally long. Most are asking passengers to manage their itineraries online whenever possible. For those who need to call, most major carriers are requesting customers only do so if flight is set to depart in 72 hours or less.
The State Department also announced Thursday that it would curtail expedited passport application services, and advised that standard passport applications may take longer than 6-8 weeks.
Featured photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees