Pilot shortage: United drops service from Washington Dulles to 14 regional markets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is making some significant changes to the regional network at its Washington Dulles (IAD) hub.
The Chicago-based carrier is suspending nine United Express routes at Dulles while shifting five more to its Newark (EWR) hub. United will not be completely exiting any markets. Instead, the affected markets will continue to be served by United from either Newark or Chicago O’Hare (ORD). United characterized the route suspensions as temporary, but did not provide a timeline for when they might resume.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
“As we continue to evaluate our network and closely match supply with demand, United is making adjustments to our East Coast operations, including suspending service between Washington Dulles/D.C. and several regional markets, and shifting some service from Washington D.C. to New York/Newark,” a United spokesperson said in a statement. “After these adjustments, United will still serve nearly the same number of destinations from Dulles that it did in 2019.”
United cited an ongoing pilot shortage as well as other factors as the reason for making this change. Last week, United CEO Scott Kirby said that United Express carriers have had to park nearly 100 regional jets due to the pilot shortage.
The changes will take effect in March, according to Skift Airline Weekly, which first reported on the suspensions.
It’s the latest set of regional cuts that United has made this quarter. By early next year, the carrier will have completely completely exited 11 regional markets — a step further than the latest changes United’s making at Dulles.
United is suspending service from IAD to the following cities:
- Akron/Canton, Ohio (CAK) (service continues from ORD)
- Asheville, North Carolina (AVL) (service continues from EWR)
- Bangor, Maine (BGR) (service continues from EWR)
- Erie, Pennsylvania (ERI) (service continues from ORD)
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR) (service continues from EWR)
- Greensboro, North Carolina (GSO) (service continues from EWR)
- Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP) (service continues from EWR)
- Milwaukee (MKE) (service continues from EWR)
- Wilmington, North Carolina (ILM) (service continues from EWR)
United is shifting the following service from IAD to EWR:
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT)
- Ithaca, New York (ITH)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania (AVP)
- State College, Pennsylvania (SCE)
Featured photo by Daniel Slim/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees