United Now Posting Award Miles and Elite Credits Right Away
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US airlines are pretty good about awarding credit automatically after passengers complete travel, but it’s not unusual to expect redeemable miles, elite-qualifying miles and elite-qualifying dollars to post at least a couple days after each flight segment. Delta has been an exception — credits sometimes post within a day of travel — and now United’s following suit, with the airline explaining that “miles will now post within minutes of a flight arriving at the gate for United/United Express flights.”
I noticed the change this week — on Sunday, I flew from Newark to Hong Kong to try out United’s new Premium Plus product. The flight landed on Monday, and miles posted on Wednesday, as expected. Yesterday, however, when I pulled up the United app to see how early my return flight had arrived after stepping off the plane, I noticed that the miles for that second segment had already posted — within minutes of us pulling up to the gate in Newark.
As it turns out, I’m not alone — other flyers have noticed the change as well, including our own Summer Hull, who heads up TPG Family:
Other frequent flyers chimed in as well:
Speedier posting can be especially helpful as the end of the year approaches, since flyers who may just slightly miss the mark might opt to go on a mileage run to close the gap. Having an almost-real-time tally will make it easier for frequent flyers to determine whether or not a “run” may be necessary, and which one to book.
You’ll also earn elite status more quickly — a flyer on a weekend trip may start the journey without any perks on Friday, and find themselves eligible for Economy Plus seats, free upgrades and other benefits in time for a Sunday return.
Featured image by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees