United Testing ‘Complimentary Sandwich’ on Key Hawaii Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US-based airlines have begun offering a full meal to some economy passengers on certain transcontinental flights — including American, Delta and United — but, in some cases, unless you’re in the right seat on one of those premium routes, you’re not going to get free grub.
Although United’s one of the participating carriers — with a hot meal available in Economy Plus on select transcons, in this case — the airline’s longest domestic flights only have “buy onboard” food, including those from the mainland US (and even East Coast) to Hawaii, an up-to 11-hour trip.
This month, United’s trialing a new “complimentary sandwich” offering on one of its longer Hawaii flights, however. Economy passengers will get the below sandwich on flight 253, operating daily from Houston to Honolulu.
The reader who shared a picture from their flight offered up a mixed review:
United has confirmed that this is only a test, scheduled to run through the end of April and intended to enable the airline to “gather feedback about its impact on the overall customer experience.” While the balsamic chicken sandwich on offer doesn’t look tremendously appetizing, free food is free food — and on an 8+ hour daytime flight, it’s better than nothing at all.
Featurred image by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees