United Testing ‘Complimentary Sandwich’ on Key Hawaii Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US-based airlines have begun offering a full meal to some economy passengers on certain transcontinental flights — including American, Delta and United — but, in some cases, unless you’re in the right seat on one of those premium routes, you’re not going to get free grub.
Although United’s one of the participating carriers — with a hot meal available in Economy Plus on select transcons, in this case — the airline’s longest domestic flights only have “buy onboard” food, including those from the mainland US (and even East Coast) to Hawaii, an up-to 11-hour trip.
This month, United’s trialing a new “complimentary sandwich” offering on one of its longer Hawaii flights, however. Economy passengers will get the below sandwich on flight 253, operating daily from Houston to Honolulu.
The reader who shared a picture from their flight offered up a mixed review:
United has confirmed that this is only a test, scheduled to run through the end of April and intended to enable the airline to “gather feedback about its impact on the overall customer experience.” While the balsamic chicken sandwich on offer doesn’t look tremendously appetizing, free food is free food — and on an 8+ hour daytime flight, it’s better than nothing at all.
Featurred image by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.