American is Bringing Free Meals to Economy Class on Some Domestic Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During the time of of high oil prices and bankruptcies that forced many US airlines to trim budgets and amenities, economy passengers found themselves without meals, even on some of the longest transcontinental domestic flights. That’s beginning to change, however — Delta’s been serving complimentary meals to economy passengers on several transcontinental routes since March 1.
Today, American Airlines shared that it’ll also begin serving meals to passengers in economy on its Airbus A321T aircraft, which are used on domestic transcontinental flights between New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO).
Beginning May 1, you’ll be offered a continental breakfast or a boxed meal with a sandwich wrap, kettle chips and dessert depending on the time of your flight. There will also be a vegetarian option as well as a fruit and cheese plate. It won’t be a hot meal, but it signals that AA is serious about competing with its rivals on these routes, even though Delta will be offering meals on many more flights.
The A321T aircraft (the T stands for transcontinental) is ideal for your cross-country trips. Up front, it has lie-flat seats in both first and business class, on par with what you’d experience on an international flight. In coach — or Main Cabin, according to American — each seat features seat-back entertainment as well as power outlet access and Wi-Fi.
AA’s additions are certainly welcome, and economy passengers on the carrier’s longest domestic routes will surely be pleased to have a complimentary meal when the new service begins May 1. But, with Delta offering meals on several more transcontinental routes, it seems like American is already playing from behind.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees