American is Bringing Free Meals to Economy Class on Some Domestic Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During the time of of high oil prices and bankruptcies that forced many US airlines to trim budgets and amenities, economy passengers found themselves without meals, even on some of the longest transcontinental domestic flights. That’s beginning to change, however — Delta’s been serving complimentary meals to economy passengers on several transcontinental routes since March 1.
Today, American Airlines shared that it’ll also begin serving meals to passengers in economy on its Airbus A321T aircraft, which are used on domestic transcontinental flights between New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO).
Beginning May 1, you’ll be offered a continental breakfast or a boxed meal with a sandwich wrap, kettle chips and dessert depending on the time of your flight. There will also be a vegetarian option as well as a fruit and cheese plate. It won’t be a hot meal, but it signals that AA is serious about competing with its rivals on these routes, even though Delta will be offering meals on many more flights.
The A321T aircraft (the T stands for transcontinental) is ideal for your cross-country trips. Up front, it has lie-flat seats in both first and business class, on par with what you’d experience on an international flight. In coach — or Main Cabin, according to American — each seat features seat-back entertainment as well as power outlet access and Wi-Fi.
AA’s additions are certainly welcome, and economy passengers on the carrier’s longest domestic routes will surely be pleased to have a complimentary meal when the new service begins May 1. But, with Delta offering meals on several more transcontinental routes, it seems like American is already playing from behind.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees