You can now pre-order your inflight meal on select United flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The days of United flight attendants running out of your preferred meal selection are coming to a close.
United now lets you choose your inflight meal on select routes within a window of five days to one day before departure. If you happen to be flying an eligible flight, the carrier will email you five days before departure to invite you to pre-order your meal. If you don’t receive an email, you can try choosing your meal on UA’s dedicated website using your confirmation number and last name.
United tested a similar service on a single route earlier this year, and I’m really glad to see that it’s being expanded. For now, only certain premium-cabin itineraries departing from the carrier’s hubs in Los Angeles (LAX) and Washington, DC (IAD) are eligible for this service. If you’re flying from elsewhere or to LAX or IAD, you won’t yet receive the option to pre-order your meal.
RELATED: Sign up for TPG’s daily email newsletter for more travel tips delivered to your inbox each morning
Once you’ve entered your information, you’ll be brought to a page where you can choose an entree for your upcoming flight. If you’re not happy with any of the entree choices, this could be a great time to order one of United’s special meals.
In order to test the service, we tried accessing the meal-selection portal with a number of flights the TPG team had booked from IAD and LAX, but weren’t able to pre-order meals on any.
According to a United spokesperson, the airline is incrementally expanding the flights that have access to this new service. United will be adding markets in January and February of next year, with the goal of having the entire network covered soon after that. We’ll be sure to share more details once we learn more the carrier’s rollout plans.
Note that you’ll want to be very careful when choosing your preferred meal. Once you make your choice, you won’t be able to change your meal preference until you get on the plane. Once onboard, you may have luck asking a flight attendant for another meal option.
Although you can’t make changes to your preselected meal, your meal order will be canceled if your itinerary changes. So if you end up changing your flight, make sure to go back into the portal to select your meal again.
This development won’t be helpful for users of UA’s same-day change policy or for those whose upgrades clear on the day of departure. Since you cannot make meal choices within 24 hours of departure, you’ll need to wait until you get onboard to order your meal if you make a same-day change or confirm a last-minute upgrade.
Overall, this is great news for United fliers. I can’t wait for this service to be expanded, especially as Delta and American passengers have enjoyed this benefit for a while. In the meantime, if you’re booked on an eligible flight, check your email and login to the web portal to make your pick. Your taste buds will thank you later.
Featured image by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees