This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
Earlier this year, American Airlines tested a food pre-ordering system for economy passengers on select routes. On August 1, the innovation went systemwide. On qualifying flights, you’ll now be able to ensure that your preferred “light meal” option will be onboard and reserved just for you.
While these meals aren’t free — unless you qualify for complimentary snacks through elite status — it’s a nice if marginal improvement of the passenger experience. I’ve been on plenty of domestic flights where these snack boxes and/or meals run out after only a few rows of economy, leaving only pretzels for the rest of the cabin.
This option won’t be available on all routes. Instead, it’s only going to be available on routes that otherwise have “light meals” which must meet all of these criteria:
- Flights over three hours
- Flights departing between 9:45am and 8pm
- Flights that don’t otherwise have a meal provided in economy. Examples include flights to/from Hawaii and international flights that serve full meals.
Your pre-order options are going to be limited to the standard light meal options that would otherwise be available on the flight. Since I don’t have any qualifying flights in the next 30 days, I held an award ticket from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to San Francisco (SFO) within this period to check the offerings:
- Fruit and Cheese Plate: $8.99
- Chicken Arugula Wrap: $9.99
- Turkey Sandwich: $9.99
As an Executive Platinum elite, I’d get one of these for free on-board. So, it seems that everyone will see the standard cost online — even if they qualify for a free snack. There’s no payment collected at the time of the online order. Instead, it’s just signaling to AA that you intend to buy this item on-board.
How to Order
You can place your pre-order between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight by logging into your reservation on the American Airlines website or app. If your flight is outside of this window, you’ll get the following error:
If your reservation is eligible, scroll down on the reservation management screen to find the “Reserve a Meal” section. Select “Place your order” to start the process:
Which Card to Use
As of May 2018, all American Airlines flights are 100% cashless — even on regional jets. And since you’re going to need a credit card for the purchase anyway, you might as well use one that gives you 25% off in-flight American Airlines purchases. These cards include the:
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard
Thanks to TPG reader Arthur T. for the lead!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*