United Is Testing Pre-Order Option for First-Class Meals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Southwestern omelette, please.” It’s a delicious spicy-cheese-stuffed egg dish, with flavorful potatoes and chicken sausage, and my United premium-cabin breakfast go-to, whenever it’s on offer. But more often than not, my request is immediately followed by a curt “what’s your second choice” by the flight attendant. “Uhh… the cold fruit tray, I guess.”
Sometimes, meal requests are prioritized based on elite status, sometimes they’re not. Generally, your best chance of getting the meal you want is to sit near the front of the cabin, or order a special meal — kosher, vegetarian, and so on — in advance. But with American and Delta, you can confirm your in-flight entree before departure, based on the menu planned for your flight. Now, United’s thinking about rolling out a similar option, assuming the carrier’s test this Wednesday goes to plan.
According to United:
A select group of customers seated in United First class with travel scheduled for July 31 from Los Angeles and Washington Dulles received an email inviting the customer to visit a meal reservation page on united.com to select their meal preference from a menu of available options. Customers can select their meal five days before departure and up to 24 hours before their flight. If they choose not to choose a meal they can request from the flight attendant once on board. Our teams will follow up with our customers, review test feedback and adjust as needed.
The airline’s currently working through a “test phase,” though the description above was followed by an offer to share more “when the product is ready for prime time,” so United’s clearly considering a larger rollout. And I’m all for it — while my free same-day change addiction will likely throw a wrench in the works, I’ll certainly be pre-ordering meals whenever possible. Though heartier options on regional-jet flights would be a welcome addition, too:
We’ll be anxiously awaiting the results of this test and hope to see a pre-order option expanding to other United-operated flights in the not-so-distant future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees