United adds bigger aircraft, more options for key summer flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This July, United Airlines will operate 80% of its U.S. schedule compared with the same period in 2019 — a big boost to near-pre-pandemic levels, at least when it comes to domestic flights.
As part of its latest update, United will adjust the timing of flights to, from and through its hubs at Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), in an effort to make connections more convenient for flyers.
“By adjusting our bank structures at two key hub airports, we’re able to offer our customers easy connections to destinations across the U.S. so they can start their vacations at times convenient for them,” United’s vice president of domestic network planning and scheduling, Ankit Gupta, explained.
At ORD and IAD, United will operate more than 480 and 220 daily departures, respectively. Overall, the airline’s July schedule represents a 17% jump over June.
Select international routes are getting a bump as well. The airline’s new nonstop flight between Newark (EWR) and Dubrovnik, Croatia (DBV) will actually kick off earlier than expected, with the inaugural now scheduled for July 1, instead of July 8.
Meanwhile, United’s seasonal service between Newark and Athens, Greece (ATH) will be operated by a Boeing 777-200ER beginning in July, replacing the 767-300ER previously assigned. That aircraft change brings 20 more lie-flat business-class seats, an additional 18 economy seats and a 24-seat Premium Plus cabin.
Also on the Europe front, the airline will be adding a second daily flight between IAD and Frankfurt, Germany (FRA), and United plans to resume service between EWR and Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD) in Spain, and Lisbon (LIS) in Portugal, assuming those countries reopen to vaccinated travelers.
If you already have a United reservation for travel in July, be sure to take a look at your booking — if the new flight times don’t work for your schedule, you can call United reservations at 1-800-864-8331 to move to new flights or, if eligible, request a refund to your original form of payment.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.