You can now easily search for United award availability with interactive map
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just last year, United added an interactive map to its site, allowing you to search by destination, activity or cheapest price — a unique tool if you don’t have your eye set on a specific destination. At that time, the map was limited to just revenue flights and didn’t have the option to pull up pricing if you wanted to use your United miles.
However, as first reported by Live and Let’s Fly, you can now use the same interactive feature if you’re looking to book your United-operated flight with MileagePlus miles. With the map, you can search for round-trip or one-way awards, while selecting the maximum number of miles you are looking to spend. You can also include travel interest filters which allows you to search for your desired vacation — including beaches, culture, national parks, skiing & snowboarding, and more.
With a pretty open calendar for the rest of 2021, I put the tool to the test to see if I could find any great options for my family. With an interest to travel outside of the United States, this is the perfect tool to compare a ton of destinations in one search.
Being Boston-based, I entered my home airport code (BOS), capped my mileage at 30,000 (for a one-way trip), and then clicked Search. I moved the map around to the Caribbean and South America as well as Europe to see if anything popped up. I was intrigued to see that Lisbon priced out at just 24,400 miles, where all other European destinations were 30,000 miles.
To see more flight details, I clicked on the date link and was brought to the typical United booking engine, where I saw all flight options between the two city pairs and award pricing at all different class levels.
Unfortunately though, the routing for this particular flight was less then ideal — with a layover of over 11 hours in Newark (EWR). All other options required significantly more miles. In the interactive tool, I also found the “see more dates” option to be extremely glitchy and not pull up a calendar of options — for multiple destinations searched.
There were also other limitations to the tool. Unlike a revenue search, you can’t put in specific dates. You also only see prices for flights operated by United and United Express — not partner award availability — which significantly decreases your options. With partner awards requiring fewer miles at times, this means you could potentially pay more if you limit yourself to only relying on this tool.
This is a welcome addition to the United website. Not only can you search a broad range of revenue flights from a single departing destination, you can now also see where your miles can take you if you are open to many different destinations.
With that being said, I’d love to see more options added to the tool. First off, I wish I could enter specific dates or at least a date range. I’d also like to be able to enter the number of award seats required. Since I often travel with my family, finding only one or two seats available using miles can be a deal breaker. And while my family doesn’t sit up in the front of the plane typically, I know many United travelers would love to see an option where they can filter for business or first-class seats and not be limited to the cheapest award pricing (which is typically in economy).
Being able to search for just nonstop awards would be incredibly helpful too — as would the ability to enter a maximum travel time or limit your number of stops. A 19-hour itinerary from Boston to Lisbon isn’t happening, regardless of the number of miles required.
Overall though, having a tool to play around with is better then nothing at all. And hopefully over time, the tool will evolve to add new features and capabilities.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees