United’s new map-based search tool lets you search by destination, activity or cheapest prices
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tracking coronavirus restrictions has become a full-time job — literally, for some. TPG has published multiple reopening guides, while at least one tech company provides real-time COVID-19 restrictions for more than 120 countries worldwide.
And now, United Airlines is jumping in the fray, thanks to Google-powered data.
The map utilizes Google Flights technology, which allows travelers to set budget limits for destinations featuring their ideal activities such as sunning by the beach, skiing, hiking and more.
You can find the new map and budget search function on the homepage at united.com, highlighted below in red.
Alternatively, travelers can choose “filter by interest” to select their preferred activities.
Quarantine restrictions now available as well
Clicking on a state provides a brief summary of requirements, color-coded to show ease of travel. Each state on the country map is also shaded according to a legend.
Travelers entering New York, for instance, are required to quarantine when coming from certain blacklisted states and territories. United’s new map specifies the entry restrictions, but also offers a helpful button to click for more information.
Detailed information includes quarantine and COVID test requirements, as well as forms, social distancing protocols and mask requirements in that state. The site also includes shop, tourist and museum attraction restrictions, plus restaurant and bar limitations, if any.
The map page also includes a text-based section with individual state restrictions, which is handy for people who prefer words over images.
As of now, the map only shows U.S. states, and does not include territories such as Puerto Rico or Guam. However, you can find international information and other domestic destinations via DragonSlayer, a web-based tool designed for travel agents to quickly find local COVID-19 restrictions and information.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.