Gov. Cuomo announces new general COVID testing requirements for visitors to New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to reflect new information.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday that those visiting the state from anywhere other than Connecticut and New Jersey must now meet certain COVID testing requirements to get out of a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon entry.
Travelers who have been in another state for more than 24 hours are required to provide a negative COVID test taken no more than three days before departure. Once in New York, a three-day quarantine is still required and will end once another COVID test is taken and comes back negative. Travelers who have spent less than 24 hours in another state are required to complete New York’s traveler information form and get a COVID test four days after arrival in New York.
In the event a positive test result comes back, the visitor will have to isolate and the state will initiate contact tracing.
Previously, visitors from a long and ever-changing list of U.S. territories and states were required to undergo a mandatory quarantine when entering the Empire State.
The new protocol takes effect on Wednesday, November 4.
The full requirements are as follows to test out of the two-week quarantine:
For travelers who were in another state for more than 24 hours:
– Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure from that state.
– The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
– On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain seek another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.
For travelers who were in another state for less than 24 hours:
The traveler does not need a test prior to their departure from the other state, and does not need to quarantine upon arrival in New York State.
However, the traveler must fill out the traveler information form upon entry into New York State, and take a COVID diagnostic test 4 days after their arrival in New York.
Related: A state-by-state guide to reopening
“New York [has] the third lowest positivity rate in the nation and New Yorkers should be very proud of what they’re doing,” Cuomo said in his announcement. “However, travel has become an issue – the rest of the states pose a threat. We’re going to a new plan given the changing facts, and the experts suggest we shift to a testing policy. So there will be no quarantine list; there will be one rule that applies across the country. We bent the curve of this virus by following the data and the science, and we are continuing that approach with these new guidelines.”
As of Oct. 13, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has tallied nearly 7.8 million cases and 214,446 U.S. deaths due to COVID-19 — an increase of more than six million cases since the quarantine was levied in late June.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees