This new tool shows you real-time COVID-19 requirements for international and domestic travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The year is winding down, and the end of the coronavirus pandemic can’t come a day too soon. Unfortunately, that day likely won’t come with the new year; experts believe that COVID-19 may be here to stay for some time longer.
For months, travelers have had to rely either on their own research, on travel experts such as TPG or a combination of both to stay abreast of constantly changing coronavirus restrictions for entering country or state borders. Many international destinations now require negative COVID-19 tests before travel, while others also enforce curfews or additional requirements.
And with government mandates changing weekly in some cases, keeping up with coronavirus guidelines can be exhausting.
Enter DragonSlayer, a subscription-based membership that tells you exactly which countries and states are open to U.S. travelers right now — and what you’ll need to prepare to go there.
“Our mission is to provide both travelers and their trusted travel advisors with centralized, real-time information to regain the confidence to book their next trip,” DragonSlayer founder and CEO Peter Wells told TPG.
Primarily designed for travel agents, DragonSlayer’s database uses a proprietary algorithm called SAFE-T (Smart Analytics For Educating Travelers) to rank all 50 states as well as 124 countries to help travelers decide how safe they feel about visiting a potential destination.
Most useful for current-day travelers, DragonSlayer constantly scans for changing mandates regarding COVID-19, ensuring that you always have the most up-to-date information at your fingertips.
Interested in visiting New York City this fall? Chances are high that you will be subject to a 14-day quarantine if you enter from one of more than 30 states and territories that are on the Empire State’s current restricted list.
The DragonSlayer interface neatly displays a series of links to official government guidance on the matter, plus a categorized breakdown of restrictions for restaurant dining, public attractions, social distancing requirements and more.
But while COVID-19 is a current top focus, DragonSlayer doesn’t stop there. The tool also keeps members up to date on local unrest, areas of danger and many other types of safety concerns that travelers need to prepare for.
You can further filter countries and states by your personal comfort level with risk, whether COVID-19 related or otherwise. DragonSlayer customizes its destination recommendations, helpfully delineated with green, yellow or red risk scores, depending on your responses to a simple set of three multiple-choice ranking questions.
DragonSlayer is available as an app in the Google Play store, or via a mobile-enhanced Web version on iPhones (there is no Apple Store app equivalent). Although the system was built for travel agents, tech-savvy travel experts used to planning their own trips are also welcome.
DragonSlayers, as members are called, are encouraged to share personal experiences with the DragonSlayer team and fellow travelers as well, to enhance the existing technology with additional crowd-sourced resources and tips.
Interested travelers can sign up for a 14-day free trial. After the trial expires, membership costs $9.99 per month.
Featured photo by Anna Tamila/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.