United to Fly Boeing 787s From Newark to Europe Next Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we’re a little misty-eyed from the winding down of this year’s summer seasonal routes, United’s giving us reason to smile as we look forward to summer 2019. FlightGlobal reports that the carrier will utilize Boeing 787 aircraft on “six international Atlantic routes” from its hub in Newark, beginning March 31, 2019. Those Dreamliners will be staffed with “160 pilots, including 55 captains and 105 first officers,” based in Newark.
What’s not yet clear, however, is what variant of 787 will be used. United does have a number of 787-10s on order — the stretched-out version that we saw evacuate Charleston ahead of Hurricane Florence — so it’s not out of the realm of feasibility that we’d see those slotted in here. The airline had scheduled for its first 787-10 deliveries to enter the fleet later this year, though it also has existing orders for the 787-9. United’s 787-10 will be the first Dreamliner to offer a modified version of the airline’s new Polaris business-class seat, which may eventually make its way to United’s smaller 787-8s and -9s.
In March, Singapore Airlines took delivery of the first-ever 787-10 Dreamliner from Boeing. It has a total of 49 ordered. Other carriers that have placed orders for the -10 include Etihad (30), British Airways (12) and Air France-KLM (8), among others.
For more on Boeing’s Dreamliner variants, see By the Numbers: Boeing 787-8 vs. 787-9 vs. 787-10.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.