United to Fly Boeing 787s From Newark to Europe Next Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we’re a little misty-eyed from the winding down of this year’s summer seasonal routes, United’s giving us reason to smile as we look forward to summer 2019. FlightGlobal reports that the carrier will utilize Boeing 787 aircraft on “six international Atlantic routes” from its hub in Newark, beginning March 31, 2019. Those Dreamliners will be staffed with “160 pilots, including 55 captains and 105 first officers,” based in Newark.
What’s not yet clear, however, is what variant of 787 will be used. United does have a number of 787-10s on order — the stretched-out version that we saw evacuate Charleston ahead of Hurricane Florence — so it’s not out of the realm of feasibility that we’d see those slotted in here. The airline had scheduled for its first 787-10 deliveries to enter the fleet later this year, though it also has existing orders for the 787-9. United’s 787-10 will be the first Dreamliner to offer a modified version of the airline’s new Polaris business-class seat, which may eventually make its way to United’s smaller 787-8s and -9s.
In March, Singapore Airlines took delivery of the first-ever 787-10 Dreamliner from Boeing. It has a total of 49 ordered. Other carriers that have placed orders for the -10 include Etihad (30), British Airways (12) and Air France-KLM (8), among others.
For more on Boeing’s Dreamliner variants, see By the Numbers: Boeing 787-8 vs. 787-9 vs. 787-10.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.