United to Fly Boeing 787s From Newark to Europe Next Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we’re a little misty-eyed from the winding down of this year’s summer seasonal routes, United’s giving us reason to smile as we look forward to summer 2019. FlightGlobal reports that the carrier will utilize Boeing 787 aircraft on “six international Atlantic routes” from its hub in Newark, beginning March 31, 2019. Those Dreamliners will be staffed with “160 pilots, including 55 captains and 105 first officers,” based in Newark.
What’s not yet clear, however, is what variant of 787 will be used. United does have a number of 787-10s on order — the stretched-out version that we saw evacuate Charleston ahead of Hurricane Florence — so it’s not out of the realm of feasibility that we’d see those slotted in here. The airline had scheduled for its first 787-10 deliveries to enter the fleet later this year, though it also has existing orders for the 787-9. United’s 787-10 will be the first Dreamliner to offer a modified version of the airline’s new Polaris business-class seat, which may eventually make its way to United’s smaller 787-8s and -9s.
In March, Singapore Airlines took delivery of the first-ever 787-10 Dreamliner from Boeing. It has a total of 49 ordered. Other carriers that have placed orders for the -10 include Etihad (30), British Airways (12) and Air France-KLM (8), among others.
For more on Boeing’s Dreamliner variants, see By the Numbers: Boeing 787-8 vs. 787-9 vs. 787-10.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees