CHS Evacuation Gives Us an Early Look at the First United 787-10
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing is currently working to evacuate some of its Dreamliners from Charleston, South Carolina (CHS) ahead of Hurricane Florence, which is expected to make landfall later this week.
One consequence, however, is that several of these aircraft are flying when they were intended to spend some time on the ground. United’s first 787-10 is one obvious example — the airline didn’t even have an opportunity to unveil its flagship Dreamliner before Boeing flew the fully painted plane to Paine Field (PAE), just outside Seattle earlier today.
United’s 787-10 is expected to enter the fleet later this year. It’ll be the first Dreamliner to offer a modified version of the airline’s new Polaris business-class seat, which may eventually make its way to United’s smaller 787-8s and -9s.
The 787-10 is a huge upgrade from the smallest Dreamliner, the 787-8, measuring 38 feet longer. It’s the shortest-range 787, though, flying up to 7,400 miles without a refueling stop. That’s enough to handle most United flights — even some long hops to Asia, like Newark (EWR) to Tokyo (NRT) — but it’s a far cry from the 8,785 miles you can achieve with the mid-size 787-9.
|Wingspan||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.|
|Cargo Capacity||9 pallets||11 pallets||13 pallets|
For more on Boeing’s Dreamliner variants, see By the Numbers: Boeing 787-8 vs. 787-9 vs. 787-10.
Featured image of United’s 787-9 Dreamliner by Zach Honig.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees