United eliminates change fees for most international flights, but still more restrictive than big rivals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in August, United Airlines made waves with the news that it would permanently eliminate change fees, giving customers the flexibility to book flights now and change their origin, destination and dates without the usual $200 fee.
Since then, American Airlines and Delta have relaxed their own change fee policies. American has permanently eliminated change fees for all international flights purchased in North and South America, while Delta’s expanded policy covers all travel originating in North America.
Both airline policies exclude basic economy tickets purchased beyond current waiver periods. However, with American Airlines, basic economy flyers can make free changes to tickets purchased by Dec. 31, 2020, while Delta basic economy customers can take advantage of free changes on all tickets purchased by March 30, 2021.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!.
Now, United is effectively matching Delta’s latest move — change fees will no longer apply to all international tickets originating in the United States. And, as with Delta, basic economy tickets purchased through March 31, 2021 will be eligible for free changes as well. As the airline explains:
Recognizing that flexibility is more important to our customers than ever, United was the first legacy airline to announce it would permanently eliminate change fees – a policy that included Basic Economy and International tickets booked through the end of this year. Today, we’re pleased to announce two important changes to this policy. First, we’re extending this policy to include Basic Economy tickets purchased through March 31, 2021. Second, this policy will also apply to all international tickets originating in the United States moving forward.
Both changes should give would-be flyers a confidence boost, but it’s important to note that United’s policy remains the most restrictive of the bunch. While customers will need to pay the difference in fare when moving to a more expensive flight, United will not issue a credit for the difference when moving to a lower-cost itinerary.
Travelers purchasing tickets with American Airlines and Delta are eligible for a credit when moving to a less-expensive flight — if there’s a chance you’ll need to change to a lower-cost flight, AA and Delta remain a better bet.
American and Delta are more generous on the award ticket front, as well. Eligible AAdvantage and SkyMiles award tickets can be changed or canceled at any time free of charge. United will permit free changes for all awards booked in North America, though awards canceled and redeposited within 30 days will be subject to a $125 fee.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees