United’s launching nonstop service from Boston to London Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline has not yet committed to a launch date, but has confirmed that it plans to operate the flight with its “high-J” version of the 767, including 99 economy seats, 22 in Premium Plus and 46 Polaris seats in business class — one of which is reserved as a pilot crew rest.
As of now, United plans to launch service sometime later this year. “We will continue to monitor the demand recovery and travel restrictions as we finalize a start date for this service later in 2021,” said Patrick Quayle, United’s vice president of International Network and Alliances.
The airline confirmed that it plans to operate this new flight without impacting aircraft assignments on other routes. We also know that United intends to fly between Boston and London daily as mentioned above, with the following schedule:
|Boston||London||10:00 p.m.||9:35 a.m.+1|
|London||Boston||5:00 p.m.||7:30 p.m.|
Interestingly, this route was announced with little fanfare. United didn’t have a marketing push at the ready, and there’s no mention of the new flight on the airline’s social media accounts.
Notably, American Airlines and JetBlue announced a slew of new flights from the New York City area yesterday, including a handful from Newark Airport (EWR) — United’s home turf. With JetBlue planning to launch its first long-haul service from Boston (BOS) to an unconfirmed airport in London later this year, featuring its new Mint business-class offering, this surprise United announcement could be seen as a response to JetBlue’s massive Newark expansion.
Still, more options mean more competition on the fare front and there’s no question that JetBlue plans to shake things up in the transatlantic market — including on especially lucrative East Coast routes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.