United makes basic economy flexible through the end of 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news from United Airlines! This spring, the carrier ended its long-standing pandemic policy of allowing changes for basic economy tickets, which are otherwise completely inflexible. Aside from an option to standby for an earlier flight for free, you’re locked into your flight 24 hours after purchase.
Now, following a similar move last month from Delta, United has restored its original flexibility, allowing basic economy customers to make free changes for tickets purchased by the end of 2021.
Best yet, the change is retroactive — customers who purchased basic economy tickets after the last waiver expired on April 30 can now make fee changes, too. As the airline explains:
“As part of an ongoing effort to offer more flexibility, United will allow customers to make changes to all basic economy tickets between now and the end of the year. Customers with basic economy tickets can already fly standby for free on the same day of travel to the same destination.”
Currently, United’s waiver covers basic economy tickets purchased for travel by Dec. 31, 2021, so you can’t book a ticket for next year and expect free changes. You could change a ticket booked for this year and choose to travel in 2022, though, as long as the new travel date is within 12 months of the date your ticket was originally issued. It’s always possible the airline will extend the waiver again, but as of now that doesn’t seem to be the intention.
As for other major U.S. carriers, American Airlines was the first to end its fee waiver, at the end of March, with Alaska, Delta and United following a few weeks later. Delta was then first to reinstate its waiver, and now United has followed suit.
As of now, basic economy tickets cannot be changed if issued by AA or Alaska, though JetBlue allows its Blue Basic flyers to make a change for a fee — either $100 or $200, depending on the route.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees