United Airlines helps flyers beat jet lag with Timeshifter app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to free or discounted Clear membership, which launched this summer, United MileagePlus members now have a tool at their disposal when it comes time to beat jet lag during a time-zone-jumping trip.
Built with input from physicians and scientists, Timeshifter, which is available for Android and iOS, provides travelers with a detailed daily schedule, clearly outlining what time to wake up, go to sleep, find some light, drink caffeine and more.
Given that I’m beginning my journey from Newark (EWR) to Dubai (DXB) for the Dubai Air Show, it seemed like the perfect time to give Timeshifter a go. After registering online using my United Premier 1K credentials — which got me a free unlimited yearly membership (normally $25) — I was prompted to enter my upcoming flight details into the app.
Timeshifter suggested that I immediately stop drinking coffee for the day, and find some light until 5 p.m. Then — minutes after my scheduled 7:45 p.m. departure — I’m supposed to go to sleep, waking up with some caffeine around 8 a.m. local time in my connecting city of Frankfurt, or 2 a.m. in New York.
The app suggests that I get six hours of sleep — a lofty goal given the short flight time between Newark and Frankfurt (FRA), but I’ll do my best to give it a shot.
United Premier 1K members can register for a free account — or gift their freebie to a friend — using this link. All other MileagePlus members can get one extra free flight plan, in addition to the one available as part of the regular Timeshifter trial.
Featured photo of United’s 787-10 Polaris business class by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees