United Airlines helps flyers beat jet lag with Timeshifter app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to free or discounted Clear membership, which launched this summer, United MileagePlus members now have a tool at their disposal when it comes time to beat jet lag during a time-zone-jumping trip.
Built with input from physicians and scientists, Timeshifter, which is available for Android and iOS, provides travelers with a detailed daily schedule, clearly outlining what time to wake up, go to sleep, find some light, drink caffeine and more.
Given that I’m beginning my journey from Newark (EWR) to Dubai (DXB) for the Dubai Air Show, it seemed like the perfect time to give Timeshifter a go. After registering online using my United Premier 1K credentials — which got me a free unlimited yearly membership (normally $25) — I was prompted to enter my upcoming flight details into the app.
Timeshifter suggested that I immediately stop drinking coffee for the day, and find some light until 5 p.m. Then — minutes after my scheduled 7:45 p.m. departure — I’m supposed to go to sleep, waking up with some caffeine around 8 a.m. local time in my connecting city of Frankfurt, or 2 a.m. in New York.
The app suggests that I get six hours of sleep — a lofty goal given the short flight time between Newark and Frankfurt (FRA), but I’ll do my best to give it a shot.
United Premier 1K members can register for a free account — or gift their freebie to a friend — using this link. All other MileagePlus members can get one extra free flight plan, in addition to the one available as part of the regular Timeshifter trial.
Featured photo of United’s 787-10 Polaris business class by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.