I got to fly on the United Airlines Star Wars plane – Here’s what it’s like inside
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Force was with me (well, except for the delay) when I recently got to fly on the United Airlines Boeing 737-800 decorated for Star Wars fans.
I had no idea the final leg of my journey to Puerto Rico would be on the Star Wars plane, but I was thrilled to see it at the gate. I thought it would be fun for you all to see the outside and inside of this cool plane, too.
For more news and AvGeek content, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The jet with registration number N36272 went into service way back in 2001, though it didn’t get the Star Wars makeover until late 2019.
I was on it for a much-delayed flight from Houston to San Juan on May 24.
While there are a few cool touches inside, my favorite part was the livery. It was painted to celebrate the release of “The Rise of Skywalker,” and it has a “First Order” theme on one side. On the other side, you can see the “Resistance” theme.
Here’s how United Airlines describes the paint job saying it, “features imagery of famous Star Wars spacecraft, including the X-wing and TIE fighter starships. The aircraft’s tail starkly displays a different colored lightsaber – the weapon of the Jedi – against a black backdrop on each side, reflecting the two sides of the Force.”
The plane is flying on domestic trips in the United States and is also visiting Canada and spots in Central America and the Caribbean. In fact, Summer Hull did a first look at the plane decked out in its Star Wars finery back in November of 2019.
Related: AvGeek guide to the best liveries
On the inside of the plane, there are lots of nods to the movie as well. At the entrance to first class, there’s a plaque commemorating the final (we think) movie in the epic Star Wars “Skywalker” saga.
On one side of the aisle in coach, you have seats’ headrests decked out with the symbol of “the resistance,” and the other side has the symbol of the “first order.”
At one point, United was handing out Star Wars-themed amenity kits, but those have now gone the way of the fictional planet Alderaan.
I was in first class where, unfortunately, there wasn’t any notable Star Wars memorabilia.
This Star Wars jet is not to be confused with the Japanese carrier ANA’s fleet of three Star Wars jets.
ANA has the R2-D2 livery (seen below), the BB-8 design on a Boeing 777-300 and the C-3PO on a Boeing 777-200.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.