I got to fly on the United Airlines Star Wars plane – Here’s what it’s like inside
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Force was with me (well, except for the delay) when I recently got to fly on the United Airlines Boeing 737-800 decorated for Star Wars fans.
I had no idea the final leg of my journey to Puerto Rico would be on the Star Wars plane, but I was thrilled to see it at the gate. I thought it would be fun for you all to see the outside and inside of this cool plane, too.
For more news and AvGeek content, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The jet with registration number N36272 went into service way back in 2001, though it didn’t get the Star Wars makeover until late 2019.
I was on it for a much-delayed flight from Houston to San Juan on May 24.
While there are a few cool touches inside, my favorite part was the livery. It was painted to celebrate the release of “The Rise of Skywalker,” and it has a “First Order” theme on one side. On the other side, you can see the “Resistance” theme.
Here’s how United Airlines describes the paint job saying it, “features imagery of famous Star Wars spacecraft, including the X-wing and TIE fighter starships. The aircraft’s tail starkly displays a different colored lightsaber – the weapon of the Jedi – against a black backdrop on each side, reflecting the two sides of the Force.”
The plane is flying on domestic trips in the United States and is also visiting Canada and spots in Central America and the Caribbean. In fact, Summer Hull did a first look at the plane decked out in its Star Wars finery back in November of 2019.
Related: AvGeek guide to the best liveries
On the inside of the plane, there are lots of nods to the movie as well. At the entrance to first class, there’s a plaque commemorating the final (we think) movie in the epic Star Wars “Skywalker” saga.
On one side of the aisle in coach, you have seats’ headrests decked out with the symbol of “the resistance,” and the other side has the symbol of the “first order.”
At one point, United was handing out Star Wars-themed amenity kits, but those have now gone the way of the fictional planet Alderaan.
I was in first class where, unfortunately, there wasn’t any notable Star Wars memorabilia.
This Star Wars jet is not to be confused with the Japanese carrier ANA’s fleet of three Star Wars jets.
ANA has the R2-D2 livery (seen below), the BB-8 design on a Boeing 777-300 and the C-3PO on a Boeing 777-200.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees