United now offers Polaris seats on 100 wide-body planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Believe it or not, this summer will mark the four-year anniversary of United’s Polaris business class, which CEO Oscar Munoz introduced in Jun. 2016. And while the carrier continues to fly a significant number of planes with the old 2-2-2 (or even the dreaded 2-4-2) biz seats, United just reached a major milestone, with a total of 100 Polaris-equipped wide-bodies in service.
The carrier’s Polaris cabin includes either 1-2-1 or 1-1-1 seating, which means all passengers have direct access to the aisle. It’s far more private, too, with privacy dividers and a staggered layout.
The new seats are now flying on a variety of wide-body aircraft — that includes a mix of retrofitted jets, such as the Boeing 767-300ER and 787-8 Dreamliner, along with brand-new planes, including the Boeing 777-300ER and 787-10.
United’s handy Polaris tracker website (above) paints a fairly complete picture, but it’s typically a bit delayed. The airline’s current Polaris-equipped fleet actually breaks down as:
- Boeing 777-300ER: 21 of 21 (new)
- Boeing 777-200ER: 38 of 51 (retrofitted)
- Boeing 787-10: 11 of 11 (new)
- Boeing 787-9: 1 of 25 (retrofitted)
- Boeing 787-8: 1 of 12 (retrofitted)
- Boeing 767-300ER: 28 of 38 (retrofitted)
As you can see above, if you’re traveling on a Boeing 777-300ER or 787-10, you’re guaranteed to have the new cabin, while flyers booked on a 777-200ER or 767-300ER have a very good shot. Note that United operates a domestic version of the 777, though, which will not be getting the new seats.
Finally, 787-8 and 787-9 flights will almost certainly have the older seats, for now, but the airline is actively working to retrofit its Dreamliner fleet, with most aircraft offering new interiors before 2020 is through.
For more on scoring a Polaris-equipped flight, see our detailed guide, Using ExpertFlyer to make sure you’re flying the real United Polaris.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees