This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get ready for takeoff: The soon-to-open TWA Hotel at JFK Airport is going to be an AvGeek’s dream come true. And starting at noon EST on Feb. 14, it will begin accepting reservations for stays beginning on May 15.
Airport hotels are rarely something to get excited about, but this property is bringing new life to Eero Saarinen’s iconic TWA Terminal, which was built in 1962 at the height of the Jet Age and shuttered in 2001. The sleek, midcentury terminal gained landmark status in 2005, which significantly restricts the changes that can be made to the structure.
The hotel — developed by MCR and Morse Development — will add new buildings with 512 rooms, a 10,000 square-foot gym, rooftop pool, and six restaurants and eight bars, including the Paris Café by Jean-Georges Vongerichten. The hotel will also have a coffee bar by Intelligentsia, retail outlets and a cocktail lounge inside a renovated Lockheed Constellation L-1649A.
Naturally, the design will be both glamorous and distinctly retro — a style that should make you feel like you’ve stepped into an episode of “Mad Men.” But there will be plenty of modern features as well, including ultra-thick glass window panes to block out the noise of the airport. And just think of the plane-spotting opportunities!
“Restoring the TWA Hotel is a labor of love for our entire team,” Tyler Morse, CEO of MCR and Morse Development, said in a statement on Friday. “We are counting down the days until the landmark building, dark since 2001, is filled with life again.”
Reservations will be available exclusively on the hotel’s website, twahotel.com, and rates start at $249 per night.
If you do book a room when the property debuts, be aware that the hotel will be in its soft opening phase, which means some of the outlets and amenities might not be up and running yet.
Featured image by Max Touhey courtesy of the TWA Hotel.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards