Turkish Airlines returns to Newark Liberty
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier will offer daily seasonal service between its Istanbul (IST) hub and Newark (EWR) beginning in May, Turkish said on its website. The route will be flown with an Airbus A330-300 from May 25 through Oct. 24. The service returns Turkish to Newark for the first time since 1994, according to Routes Online.
Turkish’s new Newark service will be in addition to its thrice-daily service between Istanbul and JFK, according to Cirium schedule data. The JFK flights are operated by a combination of A330-300 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
Turkish codeshares with fellow Star Alliance member United Airlines on select U.S. domestic routes, Cirium schedules show. However, the partnership does not cover any routes from Newark.
While Turkish has been known to be quite generous with award availability on its U.S. flights, we’re not seeing a single award seat for next year on this new operation — though the flight is available for purchase. It could be that award inventory will be loaded in the days or weeks to come, and if so, you’d need the following number of miles to book from popular Star Alliance award programs (all award rates one-way):
- United MileagePlus: 30,000 miles in economy, 70,000 miles in business class
- Air Canada’s Aeroplan: 37,500 miles in economy, 57,500 miles in business class
- Avianca LifeMiles: 49,000 miles in economy, 63,000 miles in business class
You could also book through ANA Mileage Club — a 1:1 transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards — though you can only book round-trip itineraries through this program, and you’d need to pay ~$500 in fuel surcharges, an added cost that isn’t a factor with the other three programs.
Newark will be Turkish’s 10th destination in the U.S., and its first new market since landing in Atlanta (ATL) in 2016.
No other carriers fly between any of the New York-area airports and Istanbul.
Featured image by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees