Turkish Airlines Finally Reveals New Business-Class Product on Its 787 Dreamliners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a much anticipated release, Turkish Airlines has debuted the new business class seats it will use on its Boeing 787 Dreamliners, and they look like quite the upgrade.
Turkish Airlines’ newest biz product eschews the 2-3-2 and 2-2-2 configurations currently found on the airline’s Boeing 777s and Airbus A330s for a much more modern 1-2-1 arrangement, providing additional privacy and aisle access to every seat. The seats themselves are the same ones that are used on Singapore’s 787-10s that operate regional flights, which our reviewers have loved in the past.
Turkish, however, will be using this product on long-haul flights, including to North America, making it much easier for American travelers to try the new premium experience. The new 787s will operate flights between Istanbul (IST) and Washington Dulles (IAD) starting as soon as Aug. 8; and Atlanta (ATL) beginning Sept. 15.
If you’re looking to get on board Turkish’s Dreamliner and experience the new product for yourself, be prepared to pay for it. Round-trip flights from IAD are selling for about $5,000, while tickets from ATL are slightly cheaper — around $4,300.
Turkish is a member of the Star Alliance, of course, so you can use miles to book flights. One of the best places to start looking for availability is through United’s MileagePlus program. The bad news, though, is that availability is extremely limited. We’re not seeing any availability up front from IAD, though there are a few days with availability from ATL.
If you are able to find availability, you will be able to book a one-way flight for 70,000 United miles plus a small amount in taxes and fees. An even better option would be to book through Air Canada’s Aeroplan program, where a one-way business-class flight will run you 57,500 miles. It’s easy to earn miles in either of these programs, too, as Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to United at a 1:1 ratio, and American Express Membership Rewards points transfer to Aeroplan at the same 1:1 ratio.
If either account needs some replenishing, an easy way to do so would be to apply for cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which is offering a sign-up bonus of 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening; or The Platinum Card® from American Express, which is offering a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of Card Membership.
The seats compliment the carrier’s highly regarded soft product (especially the catering) that it already offers. While the airline hasn’t said it will retrofit its older aircraft with this new product, keep an eye out for flights operated by either the 787 or Airbus A350, all of which will be delivered with the new biz product.
Contributing: Nick Ellis.
Featured picture courtesy of Turkish Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees