First Look: Singapore Airlines’ Great New Regional Business Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is a big day for Singapore Airlines. The carrier’s brand-new Dreamliner just landed at Changi Airport (SIN) — it’s the world’s first extended-length 787-10, and it’s the first plane to offer Singapore’s new regional business-class product, which, by the way, looks pretty fantastic.
While SQ has offered lie-flat business-class seats for more than a decade, the carrier’s older regional planes — namely its Boeing 777-200s and Airbus A330s — have dated angle-flat seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. It’s a far cry from Singapore’s latest business seat, now flying on the Airbus A380:
And while I really do think that’s a great seat, as I explained in my recent A380 review, I was surprised to discover that I like the airline’s new regional business-class setup even more.
This seat, Stelia Aerospace’s “Opal” model, will be offered exclusively on Singapore’s 49 787-10 Dreamliners, which will be delivered by Boeing over the next few years.
Each 787-10 has a total of 301 economy seats and 36 business-class seats, arranged in a staggered 1-2-1 configuration.
Window seats alternate between window- and aisle-facing — seats in rows 12, 15, 17 and 19 are the ones to pick, since they offer a bit more privacy.
All seats measure 20 inches wide when upright, or a total of 26 inches in lie-flat mode with the armrests down.
Unlike with Singapore’s long-haul business-class products, all seats on the 787-10 offer large footwells, so you won’t need to sleep at an angle.
While the seat might look a bit narrow, 6-foot-7-inch TPG managed to fit just fine.
Singapore plans to take delivery of 49 of these 787-10s, and the carrier has announced two routes so far. The new Dreamliner will launch with regular service to Osaka (KIX) and Perth (PER) in May, though you may see it pop up on staff familiarization flights to Bangkok (BKK) and Kuala Lumpur (KUL) before then.
Stay tuned to @thepointsguy’s Instagram and Twitter pages, along with TPG’s own Instagram and my Instagram and Twitter for a closer look at the airline’s brand-new 1-2-1 regional business-class product and our delivery flight to Singapore.
All photos by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees