Cruise ship ‘draws’ 16-mile-wide smile at sea as a departure gift for passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These are dark times in the world as the new coronavirus rages, and there’s not a lot of upbeat news. But one small cruise ship has just given us a reason to smile.
The 2,074-passenger Marella Discovery 2 on Tuesday “painted” a 16-mile-wide picture of the Marella Cruises “smile” logo in the sea near Jamaica as it prepared to suspend operations.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The image could be seen on ship tracking sites.
A spokesperson for Marella Cruises’ parent company, TUI U.K., said the ship’s captain, Jason Ikiadis, and his bridge team worked together to create the smile in the waves while carrying out routine maneuvers while anchoring in Montego Bay.
“They wanted to do something that would make both our customers and teams smile as a thank you for supporting us during these unprecedented times,” the line said in a statement to The Points Guy.
The maneuver came as Marella Discovery 2 was in the process of suspending operations. Like all major cruise lines, Marella Cruises is halting all voyages for at least the next month due to the coronavirus outbreak. It has canceled all sailings departing through April 16.
Known as Thomson Cruises until 2017, Marella Cruises is a British line that caters mostly to British vacationers. It currently operates six ships.
Marella Cruises is part of of the TUI Group, one of the world’s largest travel companies. In addition to cruise ships, the TUI Group owns travel agencies, hotels and airlines.
Cruising regulars may recognize the distinctive profile of Marella Discovery 2. The vessel formerly was Royal Caribbean‘s Legend of the Seas, the lead ship in Royal Caribbean’s highly successful Vision Class series that began debuting in 1995.
The ship was transferred from Royal Caribbean to TUI in 2017.
In its statement, Marella Cruises looked ahead to a time when the coronavirus crisis had passed and the world could return to traveling.
“We’ll be ready and waiting to set sail with our customers soon,” the line said.
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- Can I cancel or postpone my cruise due to coronavirus?
- Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- Hotel change and cancellation policies: What to know
- How to ward off coronavirus in your hotel room
- A guide to travel insurance for cruises
Featured image courtesy of Marella Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.