Cruise ship ‘draws’ 16-mile-wide smile at sea as a departure gift for passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These are dark times in the world as the new coronavirus rages, and there’s not a lot of upbeat news. But one small cruise ship has just given us a reason to smile.
The 2,074-passenger Marella Discovery 2 on Tuesday “painted” a 16-mile-wide picture of the Marella Cruises “smile” logo in the sea near Jamaica as it prepared to suspend operations.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The image could be seen on ship tracking sites.
A spokesperson for Marella Cruises’ parent company, TUI U.K., said the ship’s captain, Jason Ikiadis, and his bridge team worked together to create the smile in the waves while carrying out routine maneuvers while anchoring in Montego Bay.
“They wanted to do something that would make both our customers and teams smile as a thank you for supporting us during these unprecedented times,” the line said in a statement to The Points Guy.
The maneuver came as Marella Discovery 2 was in the process of suspending operations. Like all major cruise lines, Marella Cruises is halting all voyages for at least the next month due to the coronavirus outbreak. It has canceled all sailings departing through April 16.
Known as Thomson Cruises until 2017, Marella Cruises is a British line that caters mostly to British vacationers. It currently operates six ships.
Marella Cruises is part of of the TUI Group, one of the world’s largest travel companies. In addition to cruise ships, the TUI Group owns travel agencies, hotels and airlines.
Cruising regulars may recognize the distinctive profile of Marella Discovery 2. The vessel formerly was Royal Caribbean‘s Legend of the Seas, the lead ship in Royal Caribbean’s highly successful Vision Class series that began debuting in 1995.
The ship was transferred from Royal Caribbean to TUI in 2017.
In its statement, Marella Cruises looked ahead to a time when the coronavirus crisis had passed and the world could return to traveling.
“We’ll be ready and waiting to set sail with our customers soon,” the line said.
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- Can I cancel or postpone my cruise due to coronavirus?
- Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- Hotel change and cancellation policies: What to know
- How to ward off coronavirus in your hotel room
- A guide to travel insurance for cruises
Featured image courtesy of Marella Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees