TPG Editors’ Choice Award for best new cruise destination: MSC Cruises’ Ocean Cay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It isn’t often that an entirely new cruise destination opens in The Bahamas. But that’s what happened almost exactly a year ago as MSC Cruises unveiled its very first private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve.
Just 65 miles east of PortMiami, the 95-acre getaway is a sandy oasis that’s home to eight pristine beaches lined with lounge chairs, beach bars and beach-side food outlets.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
Exclusively open to passengers sailing on MSC Cruises ships, Ocean Cay also offers an oceanside spa, for those looking for some pampering; shopping areas with local Bahamian artisans selling arts and crafts; a family-friendly beach zone; and evening entertainment.
In short, for cruising fans, Ocean Cay is a rare and exciting addition to the array of destinations that can be reached on a short cruise from Florida. And that’s why we’ve decided to give MSC Cruises a special Editors’ Choice Award this year for the island’s development as part of Cruise Week during our annual TPG Awards. We’re calling it The Best New Cruise Destination Award.
Ocean Cay was years in the making and truly an extraordinary project. The island formerly was a sand extraction site, and MSC Cruises spent several years cleaning it up and also restoring the surrounding waters and coral areas.
In all, the line removed 1,510 tons of scrap metal from the island and surrounding sea bed. It also created a coral nursery on the east side of the island, with a focus on propagating endangered coral types that are native to the area. The line’s long-term vision is for the island to become a base for marine biologists to conduct research into coral restoration.
If you haven’t heard all that much about Ocean Cay, it’s because it only was open briefly early this year before the coronavirus pandemic caused the cruise industry to shut down. A grand opening celebration set for May was canceled on short notice.
But when cruising to The Bahamas and Caribbean starts up again, Ocean Cay is expected to be a major draw for cruisers. MSC Cruises has said it’ll be a stop on every one of the line’s voyages in the region for the coming year, including quick three- and four-night night getaways from Miami and Port Canaveral, Florida. Four MSC Cruises vessels — MSC Armonia, MSC Seaside, MSC Meraviglia and MSC Divina — will visit the island.
One thing that sets Ocean Cay apart from many other private islands visited by cruise ships is that it has its own pier. That makes it easy for passengers to go back-and-forth between their ship and the island during visits. There’s no need to “tender” to shore on a small boat.
In one notable difference to other private islands, MSC Cruises plans to have its ships stay late into the night — and in many instances overnight — at Ocean Cay, allowing for evening activities. That’s unusual for private island calls.
Evening activities will include beach-side stargazing, nighttime paddleboarding on glowing paddleboards and sunset beach picnics. There also will be a light show from the beach around the island’s iconic red-and-white lighthouse, and an evening junkanoo parade.
In a nod to the conservation needs of the island’s surrounding waters, MSC Cruises is keeping the list of daytime activities available to visitors relatively low key. In addition to relaxing and enjoying the pristine white sand beaches and crystal clear blue waters, visitors can sign up for a range of ocean discovery and wellness activities such as yoga on the beach, kayak tours, and snorkeling and scuba diving outings.
Ocean Cay also is home to lovely private cabanas (which you can rent at an extra charge). Paddleboards, family rafts, floating beach mats and umbrellas also are available for rent. There also are electric pedal boats for rent.
For those staying in the exclusive Yacht Club areas of MSC Cruises ships, there also is a private beach area and restaurant.
When cruising to Ocean Cay starts back up again, MSC Cruises plans to implement all the same anti-COVID health and safety measures on the island that it plans to implement on its ships.
This exciting new island will be a major draw when it fully opens in 2021 — and for this, we’re thrilled to honor MSC Cruises with the Best New Cruise Destination award.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of MSC Cruises
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.