This Is the Unique Gift American Airlines Top Elite Flyers Are Getting in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Got Concierge Key? Great — because, now, you might also be privy to an extra special welcome gift from American Airlines for earning your high-level elite status.
According to some reports from the TPG lounge and other readers, Concierge Key members have been receiving personalized metal luggage tags repurposed from a decommissioned MD-80 aircraft.
The metal tags feature the aircraft’s tail number, first date of service, date of retirement, where it was built, where it traveled and how many miles it logged. Crafted individually by hand, the tags have some bumps and scratches—imperfections from the actual wear of the aircraft. The tag has the Concierge Key member’s name engraved as well.
From complimentary upgrades to more direct customer service, there are many benefits that come with holding elite status for an airline. As for exactly how you get invited to American’s Concierge Key, the airline guards that information closely. You have to spend a lot and fly a lot, of course.
Sometimes, CK benefits are extended to top elite members with American’s closest ally, British Airways. And, American’s rivals also have invitation-only top elite levels beyond their published top level: Delta calls it 360, and United has Global Services.
Featured image courtesy of TPG reader Dave.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees