These 10 Countries Drink the Most per Capita
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The way we see it, there are three types of people in this world:
- People that plan a vacation to sightsee/do outdoors-y things
- People that plan a vacation to do nothing but sit on the beach and relax
- People that plan a vacation to eat and drink their weight in food and alcohol
Well, if you’re of the later, we have some suggestions for your next trip. VinePair just released a color-coded map based on 15 years (!) of data from the Global Information System on Alcohol and Health of the countries that drink — and don’t drink — the most per capita. The study tracked recorded (such as beer) and unrecorded (looking at you, moonshine) alcohol consumption over the last decade and a half. And without further ado, here are the countries that drink the most alcohol per capita:
- Moldova (17.4 liters per capita)
- Belarus (17.1)
- Lithuania (16.2)
- Russia (14.5)
- Czech Republic (14.1)
- Romania (12.9)
- Serbia (12.9)
- Australia (12.6)
- Portugal (12.5)
- Slovakia (12.5)
On the flip side, if you’re looking to keep things a little, well, more sober, you’ll want to head to these countries:
- Egypt (0.3 liters per capita)
- Niger (0.3)
- Bangladesh (0.2)
- Comoros (0.2)
- Saudi Arabia (0.2)
- Yemen (0.2)
- Kuwait (0.1)
- Mauritania (0.1)
- Pakistan (0.1)
- Libya (0)
The key takeaway here? If you are heading to one of the top 10, it’s probably a good idea to bring a jacket since they’re mostly in cold weather climates.
Featured image by Ibrahim Boran/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.