These 10 Countries Drink the Most per Capita
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The way we see it, there are three types of people in this world:
- People that plan a vacation to sightsee/do outdoors-y things
- People that plan a vacation to do nothing but sit on the beach and relax
- People that plan a vacation to eat and drink their weight in food and alcohol
Well, if you’re of the later, we have some suggestions for your next trip. VinePair just released a color-coded map based on 15 years (!) of data from the Global Information System on Alcohol and Health of the countries that drink — and don’t drink — the most per capita. The study tracked recorded (such as beer) and unrecorded (looking at you, moonshine) alcohol consumption over the last decade and a half. And without further ado, here are the countries that drink the most alcohol per capita:
- Moldova (17.4 liters per capita)
- Belarus (17.1)
- Lithuania (16.2)
- Russia (14.5)
- Czech Republic (14.1)
- Romania (12.9)
- Serbia (12.9)
- Australia (12.6)
- Portugal (12.5)
- Slovakia (12.5)
On the flip side, if you’re looking to keep things a little, well, more sober, you’ll want to head to these countries:
- Egypt (0.3 liters per capita)
- Niger (0.3)
- Bangladesh (0.2)
- Comoros (0.2)
- Saudi Arabia (0.2)
- Yemen (0.2)
- Kuwait (0.1)
- Mauritania (0.1)
- Pakistan (0.1)
- Libya (0)
The key takeaway here? If you are heading to one of the top 10, it’s probably a good idea to bring a jacket since they’re mostly in cold weather climates.
Featured image by Ibrahim Boran/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees