This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning a trip to Italy, we know it’s going to involve a lot of pasta, pizza, dessert, probably a wine tasting or two — and rightfully so. But some olive oil estates and wineries are taking their tours and tastings to the next level.
These aren’t your average olive oil or wine tours; they’re experiences designed for you to sit back, relax, and enjoy Italian culture in a way you wouldn’t have before, and may make you reconsider your next stay at a chain hotel in one of the nearby cities. We’re getting hungry just thinking about it.
Take, for example, Vittorio Cassini in Liguria. The family-owned farm is only about a 20-minute drive from the Mediterranean Sea, and you can rent one of three available houses — each complete with at least two bedrooms and a kitchen, not to mention a backdrop that features the olive groves. If you stay here, you’ll have access to pick-your-own produce and fresh milk, plus a private pasta-making lesson with the family’s matriarch. For only $150 a night, this puts an Airbnb to shame.
Another one we have our eye on is Villa Della Torre Allegrini in Veneto. This 100-acre wine and olive oil estate is complete with furniture and antiques that date all the way back to the 15th and 16th centuries. While this one is a little pricer — around 300 euros a night — your stay will be complete with breakfast and a custom itinerary. This could include anything from a guided walk through the vineyard to a bicycle tour, or even a boat tour of Lake Garda. Of course, a stay here wouldn’t be complete without a hands-on wine and olive oil tasting.
If you want just a little bit more of a traditional hotel experience, you need to check out Planeta Estate in Sicily. It’s actually made up of two estates that are a 10-minute drive apart — and its hotel, La Foresteria, is right smack in the middle. Here, you’ll find an infinity pool complimented by views of the Mediterranean Sea and all of the vineyards surrounding it. There’s even a restaurant where you can eat some of the best food Sicily has to offer. For 180 euros a night, you’ll have access to breakfast each day, cooking classes, and of course, all the olive oil and wine tours your heart desires.
Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have some planning to do.
Featured photo courtesy Villa Della Torre Allegrini
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees