Passenger Fined $300 After Harassing Crew Over a Bacon Roll
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve reported on some weird things recently — like the person who tried to bring a grenade-shaped grinder through security and caused an entire airport to evacuate — but this one brings home the bacon.
Back in April, 68-year-old Ronald James allegedly promised his granddaughter she could have a bacon roll on their TUI airlines flight from Palma (PMI) to Exeter (EXT). When cabin crew told him they didn’t have any available because they weren’t serving hot food, chaos broke out. James started shouting and poking his finger at the flight attendants, going so far as to making one of them cry.
He also asked to speak to the captain to suggest that they warn flyers at check-in that there was no hot food being served. Obviously, flight attendants didn’t go for this. He was later accused of intimidating flight attendants after being denied access to the cockpit.
Ultimately, he admitted to behaving in a threatening, abusive, insulting or disorderly manner — in addition to being fined £230 ($298). He was also ordered to pay £100 ($131) in compensation to the two cabin crew members. He later said, “I was not a happy customer – I wish I had not been on the plane and I wish it had not run out of food.” Yup, you can say that again.
Moral of the story: BYOB (Bring your own bacon).
Feature image by Brooks Kraft LLC/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.