Passenger Fined $300 After Harassing Crew Over a Bacon Roll
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve reported on some weird things recently — like the person who tried to bring a grenade-shaped grinder through security and caused an entire airport to evacuate — but this one brings home the bacon.
Back in April, 68-year-old Ronald James allegedly promised his granddaughter she could have a bacon roll on their TUI airlines flight from Palma (PMI) to Exeter (EXT). When cabin crew told him they didn’t have any available because they weren’t serving hot food, chaos broke out. James started shouting and poking his finger at the flight attendants, going so far as to making one of them cry.
He also asked to speak to the captain to suggest that they warn flyers at check-in that there was no hot food being served. Obviously, flight attendants didn’t go for this. He was later accused of intimidating flight attendants after being denied access to the cockpit.
Ultimately, he admitted to behaving in a threatening, abusive, insulting or disorderly manner — in addition to being fined £230 ($298). He was also ordered to pay £100 ($131) in compensation to the two cabin crew members. He later said, “I was not a happy customer – I wish I had not been on the plane and I wish it had not run out of food.” Yup, you can say that again.
Moral of the story: BYOB (Bring your own bacon).
Feature image by Brooks Kraft LLC/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees