This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Accidental airport evacuations are not all that uncommon. On Tuesday, a grenade-shaped marijuana grinder caused an evacuation at the Astor Piazzolla International Airport (MDQ) in Mar del Plata, Argentina — about 250 miles southeast of Buenos Aries.
The head of Argentina’s national airport police, Alejandro Itzcovich, told a local TV station that a passenger must’ve discarded the object before boarding their plane. The evacuation caused several flight delays, and this isn’t the first time a grenade-shaped grinder has slowed down airport traffic. In 2016, flights were also delayed at Bellingham International Airport (BLI) in Washington state and at California’s Sacramento International Airport (SMF) after similar objects were found in passengers’ belongings, according to the AP.
A good rule of thumb for flyers packing a carryon is, if it looks like a weapon, leave it at home.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards