Woman Accidentally Triggers Full Evacuation at Australian Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A woman at Cairns Airport (CNS) in Queensland, Australia, accidentally triggered an evacuation of the entire domestic terminal when she set off an alarm by walking back through an exit.
Hundreds of passengers were forced to wait outside while airport officials investigated the situation. Airport staff and retail workers were also forced to evacuate during the incident.
— news.com.au (@newscomauHQ) July 16, 2018
“We have spoken to the lady, and it is believed she forgot something and left the plane to run back to get it,” an airport spokesperson told Fox News. “She thought because she had been screened it was all OK. She is very apologetic, but we had to do a full evacuation.”
The airport tweeted that the entire domestic terminal had been evacuated following the “security breach,” and that passengers had to be re-screened after the evacuation ended.
Cairns Airport Domestic Terminal has been evacuated due to a suspected security breach. All passengers are currently being re-screened and we anticipate operations will return back to normal very soon. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
— Cairns Airport (@cairns_airport) July 16, 2018
The evacuation reportedly lasted for about an hour, and the Australian Federal Police said that passengers were not in danger at any time.
Cairns Airport serves about 390,000 passengers per month.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image by Andrew Bret Wallis / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees