Woman Accidentally Triggers Full Evacuation at Australian Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A woman at Cairns Airport (CNS) in Queensland, Australia, accidentally triggered an evacuation of the entire domestic terminal when she set off an alarm by walking back through an exit.
Hundreds of passengers were forced to wait outside while airport officials investigated the situation. Airport staff and retail workers were also forced to evacuate during the incident.
— news.com.au (@newscomauHQ) July 16, 2018
“We have spoken to the lady, and it is believed she forgot something and left the plane to run back to get it,” an airport spokesperson told Fox News. “She thought because she had been screened it was all OK. She is very apologetic, but we had to do a full evacuation.”
The airport tweeted that the entire domestic terminal had been evacuated following the “security breach,” and that passengers had to be re-screened after the evacuation ended.
Cairns Airport Domestic Terminal has been evacuated due to a suspected security breach. All passengers are currently being re-screened and we anticipate operations will return back to normal very soon. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
— Cairns Airport (@cairns_airport) July 16, 2018
The evacuation reportedly lasted for about an hour, and the Australian Federal Police said that passengers were not in danger at any time.
Cairns Airport serves about 390,000 passengers per month.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image by Andrew Bret Wallis / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.