The #1 Reason People Don’t Unplug on Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether we want to admit it or not, we’ve all fallen victim to it at one point or another.
No, we’re not talking about paying more in miles than what the value of a flight is worth — we mean taking advantage of your well-deserved vacation days. It’s one thing to not use them at all, but it’s another to use them and be so preoccupied about checking email and Slack messages that you can’t even enjoy yourself. (Guilty as charged — but I guess that’s what happens when you work in media, right?).
If this sounds like you, you’re not alone. A recent study from LinkedIn found that nearly 70% of people don’t disconnect from work while they’re away. What’s more, 56% of them said it’s because they don’t want to fall behind. Above all else, this is the reason people are so attached to their phones while taking time off.
Millennials in particular said they have “vacation request anxiety,” with 16% of them saying they’re too nervous to ask for time off.
So if you’re on the fence about asking for vacation — or if you’re on one now — make sure to put your phone down and enjoy yourself once you do get there. The best part? You’re already in the right place to start planning your next trip.
Feature image by @WR36 via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.