This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether we want to admit it or not, we’ve all fallen victim to it at one point or another.
No, we’re not talking about paying more in miles than what the value of a flight is worth — we mean taking advantage of your well-deserved vacation days. It’s one thing to not use them at all, but it’s another to use them and be so preoccupied about checking email and Slack messages that you can’t even enjoy yourself. (Guilty as charged — but I guess that’s what happens when you work in media, right?).
If this sounds like you, you’re not alone. A recent study from LinkedIn found that nearly 70% of people don’t disconnect from work while they’re away. What’s more, 56% of them said it’s because they don’t want to fall behind. Above all else, this is the reason people are so attached to their phones while taking time off.
Millennials in particular said they have “vacation request anxiety,” with 16% of them saying they’re too nervous to ask for time off.
So if you’re on the fence about asking for vacation — or if you’re on one now — make sure to put your phone down and enjoy yourself once you do get there. The best part? You’re already in the right place to start planning your next trip.
Feature image by @WR36 via Twenty20.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards