This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether we want to admit it or not, we’ve all fallen victim to it at one point or another.
No, we’re not talking about paying more in miles than what the value of a flight is worth — we mean taking advantage of your well-deserved vacation days. It’s one thing to not use them at all, but it’s another to use them and be so preoccupied about checking email and Slack messages that you can’t even enjoy yourself. (Guilty as charged — but I guess that’s what happens when you work in media, right?).
If this sounds like you, you’re not alone. A recent study from LinkedIn found that nearly 70% of people don’t disconnect from work while they’re away. What’s more, 56% of them said it’s because they don’t want to fall behind. Above all else, this is the reason people are so attached to their phones while taking time off.
Millennials in particular said they have “vacation request anxiety,” with 16% of them saying they’re too nervous to ask for time off.
So if you’re on the fence about asking for vacation — or if you’re on one now — make sure to put your phone down and enjoy yourself once you do get there. The best part? You’re already in the right place to start planning your next trip.
Feature image by @WR36 via Twenty20.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees