Consider This Your Mid-Summer Reminder to Take a Vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s July 23…have you planned your summer vacation yet?
If you answered “no,” then you are probably not alone. A new survey from Censuswide on behalf of LinkedIn found that more than half of US working adults don’t use all of their vacation days: 51% of those surveyed didn’t hit the maximum days last year.
Even more sickening? When people do vacation, 70% say that they have a hard time disconnecting from work, mostly because they’re worried about getting behind. (In fact, another study this year found that Americans check their phones a cringe-worthy average of 80 times per day while on vacation).
Working full-time without vacation can actually have negative effects on one’s productivity. According to LinkedIn, “when people don’t take vacation, they feel overwhelmed (58% said in the survey), disorganized (21%) – and only 3% feel creative at work.”
So consider this your mid-summer reminder to book that vacation — even if it is just a long weekend getaway. To combat the stress that comes from being away from the office, LinkedIn provided a few ways to help vacation time go a little bit smoother for everyone.
Preparation is key when you’re taking that precious out of office time. Coordinate with your manager to find the right time to take off and settle responsibilities, delegate work where necessary and work with your out of office diversion contact.
Another worrisome statistic from the survey: More than two-thirds of people would contact a fellow employee about work while the person is on vacation. That is an out of office foul, unless it is truly an emergency. Don’t contact co-workers when they are on vacation — they will be able to unplug, and when you take your out of office time, you can reasonably expect not to be bothered, too.
If you have to reach out to someone while they’re on vacation, LinkedIn provided two suggestions: (1) Don’t email them so that they don’t get overwhelmed in their inbox and (2) wait until the end of the day so that you can compile what you send.
For its study, Censuswide surveyed 2,169 US adults aged 18+ who are either in permanent full-time employment or full-time self employed/freelance.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees