Target Is Expanding Its Rewards Program to Additional Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Target already has a cult following that is captured in countless memes that depict someone (often a suburban housewife) heading into Target for one or two items only to always walk out with a new throw pillow, Starbucks iced coffee, seasonal door mat and a final bill that is always over $100.
But –- it turns out that Target can get even better. Following in the footsteps of retailers like Nordstrom, Starbucks and even Chick-fil-A, Target has decided now is the right time to see if a rewards program might lure shoppers even further into their red bullseye. And yes, like Starbucks, the program will give out birthday rewards!
The newly renamed and expanding rewards program, dubbed Target Circle, has been tested in the Dallas area since last year, but will be expanding on Feb. 19 to Charlotte, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Phoenix.
In our test, we were able to join Target Circle just by changing our home store to a Dallas location in the Target app.
Target’s newly expanded loyalty program is set to offer personalized rewards based on your shopping patterns and also has a charity component where the shopper can vote for a local charity to receive Target’s support. Target Circle membership is not tied to having the co-branded Target REDcard that saves you 5% at Target (even on Disney gift cards).
The Target Circle program offers 1% back in rewards to redeem on a future Target trip, but that 1% does not stack with the 5% off with the REDcard so it is an either/or situation.
You can earn Target rewards by scanning your Target wallet at checkout in the store, scanning a Target receipt in the app within seven days or by shopping on Target.com while logged into your account.
Being a Target Circle member also means free next-day delivery to your door on orders placed with Target Restock.
More rewards are only a good thing, so Target expanding its program to additional cities is hopefully a signal that it will be available nationwide at some point. Currently, Target tells TPG that its plan is to iterate the program based on what they learn in these six markets, so time will tell if the rest of us get a chance to see what award Target wants to give us for our birthday.
Image courtesy of Target.
Are We There Yet? | The Ultimate Travel Stroller
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Families love vacations and cash back on purchases, but not all families spend their money in the same categories every month. Each month, The Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card allows families to earn 3% cash back in the category of their choosing: Gas, Online Shopping, Dining, Travel, Drug Stores or Home Improvement/Furnishings (on the first $2,500 in purchases each quarter; then 1%). Now you don’t need multiple cards in your wallet to maximize rewards on your ever-changing expenses.
- No annual fee
- $200 online cash rewards bonus after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, automatic 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases) and unlimited 1% on all other purchases
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 13.99% - 23.99% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee (min $10) applies to all balance transfers
- No expiration on rewards
- If you're a Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25% - 75% more cash back on every purchase. That means you could earn up to 5.25% cash back on purchases in your choice category.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.