Target Is Testing a New Loyalty Program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Target is testing out a new loyalty program, Target Red, which would offer customers cash back and discounts on delivery.
As part of the program, Target Red members would receive 1% cash back on purchases that they can redeem on their next visit, free next-day delivery with Target Restock and half off a Shipt grocery delivery membership. Currently the program is only being tested in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and it is an entirely different program than Target REDcard, which offers customers a Target debit or credit card.
Target REDcard members can sign up for Target Red, but they will not be able to stack the 5% REDcard discount with the loyalty program’s 1% cash back.
Still, Target Red members would save $4.99 in shipping on every Target Restock order. Restock is one of the retailer’s online shopping platforms that lets customers fill up a box of everyday household necessities and ship it at a flat rate.
Members of the new program would also save about $50 per year on a membership for Shipt, which Target acquired in December 2017 for $550 million. Shipt delivers groceries from several different stores (including Target). The service usually runs $99 per year, and Target Red members get 50% off the subscription fee.
The test run of the new program comes at a time when many retailers are trying to compete with Amazon’s online grocery service and Prime’s two-day shipping policy, and as brick-and-mortar stores are trying to increase the number of customers walking through the door.
This isn’t Target’s first crack at a loyalty program. In 2016, the retail chain tested its Cartwheel Perks program, which converted customers’ purchases into points that could be redeemed on other specific items. The program was seen as too complicated, and Target scrapped it.
As an added perk, members of the loyalty program will also be able to vote for which local organizations receive charitable donations from Target.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Featured image by George Frey/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees