Starbucks to ‘Redesign’ Rewards Program in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starbucks has its eyes set on a new rewards program. In a statement, Starbucks detailed plans that it expects to continue to develop its Starbucks Rewards program, giving customers more choices for redemptions and payment.
“The company expects newer digital initiatives to contribute one to two points of comp growth in the US, supported by a redesigned Starbucks Rewards program that provides customers more choice around redemptions and payment, as well as expanded personalization capabilities for customers that have a digital relationship with the company,” the company said in a statement.
TPG reached out to Starbucks for comment on what the new program will entail but did not receive a response by time of publication.
In April 2016, Starbucks Rewards switched to a revenue-based loyalty program — a trend, especially in the airline loyalty program sphere. Currently, the program offers two levels of elite status: Gold and Green. To get Gold, you need to earn 300 stars. Each dollar spent at Starbucks is two stars, so you need to spend $150 in order to meet the minimum threshold. Green members, which is the entry level of status, get a free birthday reward, the ability to order ahead, free in-store refills, access to member events and the ability to pay by phone. Gold status, however, gives you those perks as well as monthly double-star days, a personalized gold card and a reward for every 125 stars.
According to the company’s statement, the number of Starbucks Rewards members is growing — up 13% from the previous year. In fact, Starbucks says that 2 million active Starbucks Rewards members have been added year-over-year to 15 million. The growth also comes alongside of the launch of Starbucks’ first credit card with Chase, which was launched in February.
As part of Tuesday’s statement, Starbucks noted that along with the new rewards program coming in 2019, it also plans to close approximately 150 underperforming stores.
Featured image by Zhang Peng/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees