Startup Avelo Airlines announces new East Coast base just 1 week after launch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avelo Airlines is headed East.
The brand-new budget carrier said New Haven, Connecticut, would become its first base on the East Coast. The Thursday announcement comes just a week after Avelo flew its inaugural flight on an intra-California route between Burbank and Santa Rosa – the first of 11 routes Avelo will offer from Burbank by late May.
Avelo – the first mainline U.S. carrier to launch in 15 years – did not reveal a firm start date or its planned routes from Tweed New Haven Airport (HVN), saying only that it would begin flying there in the third quarter of this year.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Avelo plans to fly Boeing 737-700 jets from New Haven, saying in a statement that its planes would give travelers there “a more comfortable, mainline jet experience versus the smaller regional jets that currently service the airport.”
Currently, New Haven is served only by American Airlines, which serves the airport with service to Philadelphia on its regional affiliates. American’s June schedule shows American Eagle partner Republic Airways serving the route with 76-seat Embraer E175s, though smaller regional jets were common on the route prior to the pandemic.
- New US airline, Avelo, launches with splashy inaugural
- Fanfare galore: What it was like flying on Avelo Airlines’ inaugural flight
- First look inside and where to sit on Avelo’s Boeing 737-800
Still, while those flying Avelo from New Haven may appreciate the option of a full-size jet, seating onboard will be tight.
Avelo will fly both the -700 and -800 models of the 737 across its overall network. Its inaugural was on a 737-800, which is laid out in a tight 189-seat configuration with 129 standard slimline 29-inch-pitch seats and an extra-legroom section with 60 seats. The same plane flying for Southwest is outfitted in an all-coach configuration with 175 seats.
Customers will have a similar experience on Avelo’s 737-700s.
For now, Avelo is celebrating its first post-launch expansion.
“Tweed New Haven has enormous potential, and our first East Coast base is great news for Avelo, New Haven, East Haven and other local communities,” Avelo founder and CEO Andrew Levy said in a statement.
Startup announcement: New budget airline Avelo announces 12 cities, launch dates
Featured photo by Zach Griff, TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees