New budget airline Avelo announces 12 cities, will begin flying April 28
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Say hello to Avelo Airlines.
The new budget carrier – one of two start-ups set to launch this year – plans to begin flying April 28 with service from its base in Burbank, California, to 11 cities in the West. Fares will begin at $19 one way, with sales beginning Thursday at 11 a.m. ET, according to the new airline’s website.
Avelo’s inaugural flight will be from Burbank to Santa Rosa, California.
The carrier’s business model will focus on connecting underserved markets that currently lack nonstop connections. It’s targeting routes that currently require connections, betting that major rivals won’t follow it into the smaller markets it plans to serve.
“After more than 20 years of steadily shrinking consumer choice, the American flying public wants and deserves more options and lower fares,” Avelo Founder and CEO Andrew Levy said in a Thursday statement detailing the launch. Levy helped launch Avelo after time at both Allegiant and United, including as the latter’s chief financial officer.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
If Levy’s start-up plan for Avelo sounds familiar, it should. It’s the same strategy that serial airline entrepreneur David Neeleman – best known in the U.S. for launching JetBlue – is using for his own start-up. That carrier, Breeze Airways, also is expected to start flying this spring.
For now, though, Avelo will get the jump.
It will fly 189-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft with 129 standard slimline 29-inch pitch seats and an extra-legroom section with 60 seats.
Another start-up? David Neeleman’s new airline, Breeze, just cleared a major hurdle
Avelo’s base fares may be low, but the carrier says it will offer “several unbundled travel-enhancing options” that will cost extra. They include:
- First Checked Bag: $10
- Carry-On Overhead Bag: $35
- Priority Boarding: $10
- Pet in the Cabin: $95
Additionally, advance seat assignments also will cost extra. “Pre-reserved” window and aisle seats start at $5 per passenger. The extra-legroom section – where seats offer anywhere from 31 to 38 inches of pitch – will start at $18.
While Avelo will launch April 28, its full roster of initial destinations will slowly ramp up through late May. The full list of Avelo’s first cities and launch dates are below. For now, all flights will be to or from Avelo’s base in Burbank (BUR).
- Arcata/Eureka, California (ACV): Begins May 19 (4x weekly)
- Bend/Redmond, Oregon (RDM): Begins May 13 (3x weekly)
- Bozeman, Montana (BZN): Begins April 30 (4x weekly)
- Eugene, Oregon (EUG): Begins May 12 (4x weekly)
- Grand Junction, Colorado (GJT): Begins May 9 (4x weekly)
- Medford, Oregon (MFR): Begins May 9 (4x weekly)
- Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona (AZA): Begins May 12 (daily)
- Pasco, Washington (PSC): Begins April 29 (3x weekly)
- Ogden, Utah (OGD): Begins May 4 (6x weekly)
- Redding, California (RDD): Begins May 20 (3x weekly)
- Santa Rosa, California (STS): Begins April 28 (daily)
Featured photo courtesy of Avelo Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees