Spirit adds a new city to its route map as it expands in Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The network expansion continues for Spirit Airlines on Thursday.
The Miramar, Florida-based carrier just unveiled its newest route-map pin, Ponce, Puerto Rico, with once-daily flights from Orlando (MCO) that will launch Feb. 16, 2022.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Unlike many of Spirit’s other new cities, this one will only be connected by a single route, though the airline is marketing 14 one-stop itineraries from departure points that connect through Orlando and onwards to Ponce.
“Our new nonstop flights to Orlando provide connectivity to many high-value travel options for flying in and out of Ponce, along with serving the vibrant and growing Puerto Rican community in Central Florida,” John Kirby, the airline’s vice president of network planning, said in a statement.
Adding service to the Mercedita International Airport (PSE) in Ponce joins Spirit’s two other existing Puerto Rico destinations, San Juan and Aguadilla.
The airline will face off with rival JetBlue Airways, which already operates at least once daily flights from Orlando to Ponce, as well as spring and summer seasonal flights from New York-JFK, according to Cirium schedules.
No other U.S. airline aside from JetBlue currently serves Ponce.
Value proposition: Why I no longer avoid flying with Spirit, Frontier and other budget carriers
For Spirit, adding Ponce is seemingly about connecting this Puerto Rican city to its broader U.S. network, as opposed to specifically bringing tourists to the island. The airline’s press release doesn’t just tout the one-stop connectivity, but it also highlights the “easy connections to dozens of destinations via Orlando.”
While the Puerto Rico growth is noteworthy as a new dot to the airline’s map, it’s not the biggest network expansion we’ve seen from Spirit in recent months.
Just last week, the carrier inaugurated its first-ever flights to Miami, with a whopping 31 routes taking off throughout the winter, making the airline the second-largest in the city after American Airlines.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
New Ponce flight schedule
Spirit Flight 3029 PSE-MCO 4:28 a.m. — 6:29 a.m.
Spirit Flight 3028 MCO-PSE 11:45 p.m. — 3:34 a.m. (+1 day)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees