Spirit adds a new city to its route map as it expands in Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The network expansion continues for Spirit Airlines on Thursday.
The Miramar, Florida-based carrier just unveiled its newest route-map pin, Ponce, Puerto Rico, with once-daily flights from Orlando (MCO) that will launch Feb. 16, 2022.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Unlike many of Spirit’s other new cities, this one will only be connected by a single route, though the airline is marketing 14 one-stop itineraries from departure points that connect through Orlando and onwards to Ponce.
“Our new nonstop flights to Orlando provide connectivity to many high-value travel options for flying in and out of Ponce, along with serving the vibrant and growing Puerto Rican community in Central Florida,” John Kirby, the airline’s vice president of network planning, said in a statement.
Adding service to the Mercedita International Airport (PSE) in Ponce joins Spirit’s two other existing Puerto Rico destinations, San Juan and Aguadilla.
The airline will face off with rival JetBlue Airways, which already operates at least once daily flights from Orlando to Ponce, as well as spring and summer seasonal flights from New York-JFK, according to Cirium schedules.
No other U.S. airline aside from JetBlue currently serves Ponce.
Value proposition: Why I no longer avoid flying with Spirit, Frontier and other budget carriers
For Spirit, adding Ponce is seemingly about connecting this Puerto Rican city to its broader U.S. network, as opposed to specifically bringing tourists to the island. The airline’s press release doesn’t just tout the one-stop connectivity, but it also highlights the “easy connections to dozens of destinations via Orlando.”
While the Puerto Rico growth is noteworthy as a new dot to the airline’s map, it’s not the biggest network expansion we’ve seen from Spirit in recent months.
Just last week, the carrier inaugurated its first-ever flights to Miami, with a whopping 31 routes taking off throughout the winter, making the airline the second-largest in the city after American Airlines.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
New Ponce flight schedule
Spirit Flight 3029 PSE-MCO 4:28 a.m. — 6:29 a.m.
Spirit Flight 3028 MCO-PSE 11:45 p.m. — 3:34 a.m. (+1 day)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.