You now need to show proof of vaccination to enter Spain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Several countries have added travel restrictions on tourists from the United States following the European Union’s recommendation to reimplement restrictions due to the continued spread of COVID-19. Now, you can add Spain to that list.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to the Spanish government, U.S. travelers must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter the country. Vaccinations approved by Spain’s Ministry of Health, including Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson and Johnson, are accepted. Children under 12 are the only exemption from the rule.
This mandate replaces a recent rule that allowed travelers to enter with proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before arrival.
The U.S. is on Spain’s list of “high-risk” countries, though the list also includes most of the world. According to the Spanish government, the list of high-risk countries is reviewed every seven days.
In addition to proof of vaccination, travelers headed to Spain from the U.S. must present a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal. The health form details your name, email, passport number and flight details. Travelers then receive a QR code that’s must be presented at boarding and upon arrival in Spain. Alternatively, the EU digital certificate is acceptable if you’re coming from other EU countries.
When Spain first reopened its borders earlier this summer, COVID-19 tests and proof of vaccination weren’t mandated. However, in light of rising coronavirus cases and the EU’s recommendation, countries are implementing new restrictions on travel. This is a general trend we’ve seen worldwide, and it’s getting increasingly difficult to travel internationally if you’re not fully vaccinated.
The highly transmissible delta variant has forced countries to reevaluate their international travel strategy. According to Reuters, the U.S. averages 313 cases per 100,000 residents daily, while Spain averages 59 cases per 100,000 residents daily. Nearly 75% of Spaniards are fully vaccinated, according to Johns Hopkins University data.
While Spain’s new restrictions mainly affect the unvaccinated, some countries are implementing requirements that also impact fully vaccinated travelers. For instance, the Netherlands reimposed a 10-day quarantine on top of proof of vaccination or a recent negative test — and we may see other countries develop similar restrictions soon.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) classifies Spain as Level 4: “Very High Level of COVID-19″ and recommends Americans avoid traveling to the country. The U.S. State Department also lists Spain under its own Level 4 “Do Not Travel” designation due to COVID-19 cases.
Additional reporting by Victoria Walker.
Featured photo by Prasit Photo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees